Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
North Ayrshire
Planning Authority
North Ayrshire
NS 19282 68095
219282, 668095


John Honeyman of Glasgow, architect. Opened 13.2.1895. 5-bay

Gothic church with chancel to south, 3-stage square tower

with spire to north, 3-bay hall (former 1855-6 church)

beyond. Snecked and stugged red sandstone ashlar (hall is

cherry-caulked red rubble) with polished dressings. Entrance

in tower, 2 cusped-headed doors (all other openings have

pointed heads, mostly hood-moulded) under wide, moulded arch

with nook-shafts; lancets above, louvred and plate-traceried

belfry opening to each face of top stage, tower, parapet,

with diminutive pinnacles over angles, enclosing spire,

latter faceted and finialed, with lucarne. Nave has 5

buttressed bays, geometric-traceried windows, stepped and

gabletted buttresses, continuous string at cill level.

Chancel has 3 lancets, with continuous hood-mould,

high on east and west walls (stylised beak-head moulding

at eaves of latter): 3 tall, slender lights below vescica

in south gable. Vestry at south east corner. Hall has 3

bays, porch in north bay, belfry over 3-light window on

north gable. Modern addition to north east.

All roofs slated.

Interior (fittings mostly by Honeyman & Keppie). Single side

aisle at east, elaborately carved and panelled pulpit (1899),

choir stalls, altar, dado and reredos all oak, reredos has

4 figures under ornate canopies separating 3 carved panels

(these signed J Crawford, 1897). Some good leaded glass

windows; chancel windows by J & W Guthrie (David Gauld,

artist) 1895-6; 5 windows on west wall, including one by

Stephen Adam, c1909, 2 by firm of Wm Morris, c1900 & 1918

(latter at least from an original by Burne-Jones). Inverclyde

window probably by Clayton & Bell: 2 additional war memorial

windows from St Andrew's Church Greenock, acquired 1970,

fixed to north wall and back-lit. Art nouveau details to

pulpit, stair balusters and newel posts in hall, and also to wrought-iron lamp outside principal entrance. Organ

1904, by Binns of Bramley, Leeds, to specifications from

Herbert Walton of Glasgow Cathedral. Set behind low

quadrant wall, with wrought-iron gates and railings.

Statement of Special Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such.

The records in SRO do not identify the architect of the

original church, but the transept (replaced by tower) was

added 1858 by "Mr Clark, architect".

The chancel west window was donated in memory of the wife and

sons of John Honeyman.



Plaque in chancel identifies architect. SRO CH2/328/1

Honeyman & Keppie accounts preserved at Keppie & Henderson

office, Glasgow (information from Alex Smellie)


About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to SKELMORLIE VILLAGE SKELMORLIE PARISH CHURCH, HALL AND QUADRANT WALL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 27/05/2019 10:04