Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

EILEAN DONAN CASTLELB7209

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
25/03/1971
Local Authority
Highland
Planning Authority
Highland
Parish
Kintail
NGR
NG 88127 25836
Coordinates
188127, 825836

Description

Rebuilt 1912-32 in a later medieval manner and a free interpretation of the former castle on the 13th century site, incorporating some remains of the keep and enclosing walls. Architect; George Mackie Watson of Edinburgh. Rubble, tooled dressings. Fanciful gatehouse and allied buildings of 1912 project into the courtyard with stair turret, corbelled angle turret, corbelled and arcaded watch house on outer wall and crude crenellation extending to curtain walls. To the west 2 storey block over vaulted basement, 3 bays on early footings, now with crowstepped roof. Tall keep, rectangular plan, with caphouse, crenellated wall-walk and angle turrets. Forestair leads to barrel- vaulted Billeting Room and Banquetting Hall with heavy oak ceiling above. Large chimney-piece in 15th century manner. All buildings linked by series of battlements. Original 7-sided water cistern projects from SE angle. Castle linked to mainland by causeway and 3-arched bridge with rounded cutwaters and corbelled pedestrian refuges.

Statement of Special Interest

Eilean Donan Castle destroyed 1719 by English frigates. Stronghold of Kintail Mackenzies in 15th and 16th centuries. Re-built by Lt Col John MacRae-Gilstrap 1912-32.

Scheduled Monument.

References

Bibliography

MacGibbon & Ross, CASTELLATED AND DOMESTIC ARCHITECTURE OF SCOTLAND (1899), iii, pp 82-85.

John Hume, THE INDUSTRIAL ARCHAEOLOGY OF SCOTLAND, ii (1977) p.290.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to EILEAN DONAN CASTLE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 21/09/2019 15:08