Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

EASTEND HOUSE AND STEADINGLB720

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
12/01/1971
Last Date Amended
11/02/2011
Local Authority
South Lanarkshire
Planning Authority
South Lanarkshire
Parish
Carmichael
NGR
NS 94875 37457
Coordinates
294875, 637457

Description

Core circa 1500, extended in 1673 and early 18th century; David Bryce, remodelled and extended dated 1851. 3-storey and attic L-plan Scottish Baronial house, Georgian facade to S elevation. Rubble with ashlar dressings.

STEADING: early 19th century, single storey and attic quadrangular-plan steading comprising of stables, byres, dovecot and residential accomodation; tower over entrance pend. Rubble with droved ashlar dressings.

Statement of Special Interest

Eastend House is located on the southern part of the Carmichael Estate. The house has been extended in several phases, the last of which was by the prolific Scottish architect David Bryce, who was accomplished in the Scottish Baronial style. In 1940 the house was occupied by the General Staff of the Polish Army.

Eastend Farm Steading is an earlier 18th century largely-unaltered building that is representative of the improvements undertaken to the estate during this period. Many original features have been retained, such as the horse stalls, cattle pends and stone midden.

(Steading added to listing following visit in 2010 to steading only)

References

Bibliography

New Statistical Account: Vol XI (1834-45), p526. Irving G & Murray A (1864) Upper Ward of Lanarkshire: Vol. III, p. 27-28. Tranter N (1970) The Fortified House in Scotland: Vol X, pp 196-7. http://www.carmichael.org/CarmichaelEstate.asp [Accessed 13.09.2010]. Additional information courtesy of owner (2010)

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to EASTEND HOUSE AND STEADING

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 20/06/2019 06:00