Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

BETTYHILL FARR OLD CHURCH (FORMER CHURCH OF SCOTLAND PARISH CHURCH) AND BURIAL GROUNDLB7156

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
03/08/1977
Local Authority
Highland
Planning Authority
Highland
Parish
Farr
NGR
NC 71450 62248
Coordinates
271450, 962248

Description

1774. Interior altered 1882. Tall rectangular church, harled with painted ashlar reveals (some rendered). Symmetrical south elevation with 2 long centre windows with mulit-pane glazing. Flanking ground floor and gallery windows. Single long window, detailed as in south elevation, in centre north elevation with flanking ground floor windows; 12-pane glazing; 1st floor gallery entrances in east and west gables,

reached by forestairs over-sailing similar ground floor entrances.

Bellcote at east gable; ball finial at west; slate roof with small triangular vent in south.

Interior: imposing hexagonal panelled pulpit dated 1774, with panelled backboard and hexagonal sounding board with deeply moulded rim. Backboard contained within fluted Corinthian pilasters, with centre round-headed keystoned blind arch supported on half pilasters; carved baluster to stair with end ball finials. Flanking late 19th century

oil lamps on decorative brass wall brackets.

Burial Ground: rubble walled burial ground with interesting 18th and 19th century tomb stones.

Statement of Special Interest

No longer in ecclesiastical use; serves as Farr Museum. Seating Removed. Pulpit initialled and dated: MGM 1774 for Master George Munro. The Rev. George Munro graduated at King's College, Aberdeen (denoted by the title Master) and was the Minister of Farr at the time the church was built, dying there in 1779. There is a memorial to him in the

burial ground. Former galleries removed and party walls inserted reducing the size of the interior, in 1882. Very fine collection of 17th and 18th century tomb stones from church yard housed in church. Cross slab in burial ground is Scheduled Ancient Monument No 1889.

References

Bibliography

THE STATISTICAL Account (1790-1) (re-published 1979, editors

D.J. Witherington and I.R. Grant) p.413;

George Hay, THE ARCHITECTURE OF THE SCOTTISH POST-REFORMATION CHURCHES

(1957) pp.80, 87, 187;

FASTI ECCLESIAE SCOTICANAE, vii, (1928)

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BETTYHILL FARR OLD CHURCH (FORMER CHURCH OF SCOTLAND PARISH CHURCH) AND BURIAL GROUND

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 22/09/2019 21:19