1230, largely reconstructed 1530-58; earlier 15th century
Chapel of Holy Cross abuts north aisle. Roofless cruciform
building, red Tarradale random rubble with polished ashlar
dressings. Centre round-headed entrance in gable (re-modelled
in mid 16th century) with moulded jambs and paired slender
nook shafts; 3 long pointed-headed windows fill west gable,
with (empty) niche immediately above doorway and below cill
of centre window. Small cusped occulus in gable apex.
13th century fenestration survives north and south aisle
walls, including shaped triangular clerestory windows with
spherical tracery. Buttressed chancel with remains of
large 15th century east window (no tracery survives) and later
Y-tracery windows in north and wouth walls.
Late 15th century angle stair turret at N transept.
Interior; mural tomb to Prior Mackenzie (d.1479)
reconstructed in 16th century, in south wall of crossing and
to Sir Kenneth Mackenzie (d.1491) opposite in north wall;
double piscina in south wall of chancel with linked pointed
headed hoodmould; square aumbry below window cill in centre
North aisle contains private burial enclosure of Mackenzie
Statement of Special Interest
Guardianship Monument, No 90031. Stepped base and stump of former
Beauly market cross sited just outside main entrance to
Priory and burial ground is Scheduled Monument. Repaired
cross shaft stored at Priory. Beauly one of 3 Valliscaulian
Priories, all founded in 1230, daughter houses of the austere
French order established by 1206 in Val de Choux, Burgandy.
(Other two Scottish Priories were Pluscarden, Moray and
Ardchatten, Argyll.) Chapel of Holy Cross, of which there
are only scant remains, erected by Hugh Fraser of Lovat
(1416-40); building repaired by Prior Mackenzie (d.1479) and
largely reconstructed by Prior Robert Reid, a notable
builder, also Abbot of Kinloss and Bishop of the Orkneys.
Prior Reid was ruler of Beauly from 1530 until his death in
1558. Prior Reid's arms displayed in niche in west front.