Archibald McPhail, Oban, 1783, renovated and recast, 1890.
All harled with tooled ashlar margins and dressings. 4-bay
south front with former left outer bay door as window; entrance
in right outer bay masked by late 19th century projecting
gabled porch with round-headed doorway, double leaf plank
door with ornate cast-iron hinges and with small, modern
vestry in SE re-entrant. Large round-headed (1890) gable
windows; all windows with 1890 circular geometric tracery
and either with stained or lattice pane glazing. Small mural
sundial in centre of south elevation. Tall bellcote at west
gable with ribbed cap and ball finial. Ball finial to east
apex; slate roof.
Interior; re-cast to west in 1890; braced timber ceiling;
octagonal panelled timber pulpit; brass eagle lectern, 1907;
stone font on stem. Various mural memorials to the Camerons
of Lochiel, Inverailort and Drimnasallie: 1890 stained glass
window in west gable; also single stained glass window by
Gordon Wilson, Glasgow 1957.
Church enclosed by drystone wall with pair square tooled
rubble gate piers with pyramidal caps.
Within enclosure, standing close to church entrance, stands
square, tapering ashlar memorial, on stepped base with swags,
decorative detailing and topped by headless, robed figure.
Inscribed to memory of Sir Alexander Cameron of Inverailort,
Statement of Special Interest
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Built in 1783 for
cost of $440. Site the "most centrical spot in the whole
parish.....it is distant about 36 miles from the extremity
of the parish." Stained glass memorial window (1890) to
Dr. Archibald Clerk, Minister of Kilmallie 1844-87 a noted
Gaelic scholar. Modern parish room to rear not included in