Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

ST MARY'S AISLE, INCLUDING GRAVEYARD, BOUNDARY WALLS AND RAILINGS, MAIN STREET, CARNWATHLB692

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
12/01/1971
Local Authority
South Lanarkshire
Planning Authority
South Lanarkshire
Parish
Carnwath
NGR
NS 97541 46411
Coordinates
297541, 646411

Description

1424 remnant of earlier collegiate church, with 19th century alterations. The aisle is a small, buttressed, rectangular-plan tomb and is the former north transept of the now demolished Carnwath collegiate church, which was built on the site in 1386.

The north entrance gable has a pointed arched central entrance door with studded boarded doors under a highly decorative 5-light traceried window with decorative coloured stained glass panels. The south gable contains an arch (now infilled with stone and the Denham family memorial) which used to link to the former collegiate church, and a circular traceried window with hoodmould to apex. Later, shouldered, side and corner buttresses with niches, pitched stone caps and decorative carved stone foliate finials in similar style to adjacent parish church (see separate listing). Stone walled enclosures to south and west, that to west with cast iron railings. Dressed ashlar walls with stepped stone skews and stone slab roof.

Graveyard with corniced and capped stone gatepiers with low stone, capped walls and tall barley twist wrought iron railings to the main street elevation which date to the 1865-9 parish church. Earlier and taller rubble walls to other sides further enclosing the large graveyard with a 16th century recumbent tomb and 17th, 18th and 19th century gravestones. Other 19th century memorials built within walls to east entrance area.

Statement of Special Interest

St Mary's Aisle is an important survival of a 15th century collegiate church which, whilst it has later alterations, continues to demonstrate its early date both to the interior and exterior. St Mary's Church was founded around 1386. In 1424 Thomas, the first Lord Somerville, founded a collegiate foundation for a provost and six prebendaries and expanded the existing (1386) church to form Carnwath Collegiate Church. St Mary's Aisle was built as part of the 1424 phase of work and was the north transept of the collegiate church.

The collegiate church was not used for worship after 1799, at which point it was replaced by the predecessor to the current Carnwath Parish Church, and at some point around this time the majority of the collegiate church was demolished. The remaining north transept was then used as a burial place for local landowners and several new features were added, such as the belfry on the south gable and the cross on the north gable. The outline of an arch in the south gable, which formerly led from the transept into the church, can still be traced. The aisle appears to be joined to the adjacent parish church because they are so close to each other but are in fact separate and built in such a way that their respective buttresses interweave making it impossible to see daylight between them.

The aisle has been the mausoleum for the Somerville family since the 16th century. Inside the aisle is the tomb with effigies of Hugh, Lord Somerville and his wife, daughter of William Maitland of Leddingtonne, who died in 1549. More recently the tomb has an association with the Earls of Carnwath and the Lockhart family.

St Mary's Aisle has built fabric of a very early date but also has significant alterations which were probably added in the 19th century. These include the large pointed arched window, entrance below and cross final to the north gable, and the belfry on the south gable. The buttresses are in a similar style to the adjacent Carnwath Parish Church (1865-9) by David Bryce (see separate listing). Although the buttresses and north gable details of the aisle may predate the parish church as they appear in a sketch by Alexander Archer dated 1837, held by RCAHMS.

Listed building record and statutory address updated 2014. Previously listed as "Old Collegiate Church, "St. Mary's Aisle", and Graveyard".

References

Bibliography

MacGibbon, D and Ross, T (1887) Castellated and Domestic Architecture of Scotland. Vol.III. p.349.

Ordnance Survey. (1856-9) 6 inch. 1st Edition. London: Ordnance Survey

Dictionary of Scottish Architects, David Bryce http://www.scottisharchitects.org.uk/architect_full.php?id=100014 [accessed 02/04/2014]

Royal Commission on Ancient and Historic Monuments of Scotland, St Mary's Aisle http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/site/47620/digital_images/carnwath+st+mary+s+church/ [accessed 15/04/2014]

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to ST MARY'S AISLE, INCLUDING GRAVEYARD, BOUNDARY WALLS AND RAILINGS, MAIN STREET, CARNWATH

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 19/11/2018 00:30