Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

ARDVERIKIE HOUSE, OUTBUILDINGS, GAME LARDERS, BOAT HOUSE AND WALLED GARDENLB6910

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
05/10/1971
Local Authority
Highland
Planning Authority
Highland
Parish
Laggan
NGR
NN 50789 87555
Coordinates
250789, 787555

Description

John Rhind, Inverness, house dated variously 1873-8,

probably incorporating fragments of earlier shooting lodge.

Large irregular 2- and 3-storey baronial mansion with

varied gabled roofline. All grey granite rubble with

contrasting tooled ashlar dressings.

L-plan S front with round-headed entrance in 2-storey

projectilng gabled porch with corbelled detailing over

ground floor. 1st floor bipartite with crest above.

Panelled double leaf door. Variety of gabled bays

terminating in circular and octagonal turrets with boldly

corbelled conical roofs.

Gabled wide 4-bay W garden fornt with projecting canted

outer bays and 5-storey square tower set back at N.

Off-centre entrance within 3-arched loggia with crenellated

balcony above, corbelled turret re-entrant angle, set back

turret at S. Upper crenellated parapets, crowstepped and

brattished caphouse.

2-storey wings N and S, to S possibly part of earlier

house.

Single, 2, 3 or 4-light mullioned windows mainly 2-pane

glazing; decorative cast-iron finials. Wooden gable apex

finials; coped end and ridge stacks; slate roofs.

Walled service court at E entered through round-headed

archway.

Interior; richly decorated interior. Neo-Jacobean inner

stair hall with inset low-relief panels depicting sporting

artifacts. Wide wooden staircase with carved balustrade

and square finialled newels.

Drawing room with carved marble chimney-piece and mirrored

overmantel; panelled dado; panelled double doors with broken

pedimented doorpieces; strapwork plaster ceiling.

Library; panelled; carved wooden chimney-piece with

overmantel flanked by caryatids; inglenook screened by

round-headed arch supported by pair fluted Corinthian

columns; bookshelves delineated by barley-sugar clustered

colonettes. Dining room; ornate variegated marble

chimneypiece with heavy carved wooden overmantel framing

portrait; panelled to cornice height; arcaded plasterwork

cornice.

Billiard room; panelled room with built in bookshelves.

Walled service court at E entered through round-headed archway.

OUTER SERVICE COURT: (setted), to E partially enclosed by single storey outbuildings and single storeyr and loft helm-roofed boathouse/garages block, and by detached single storey and loft symmetrical game larder with gabled centre piece and tall slated ridge fleche. Further detached square GAME LARDER with louvered walls and pyramidal louvered roof stands on mound to N of house by loch-side.

BOATHOUSE ALSO TO N: small rubble L-plan boathouse with double doors to loch inlet (now dried up). Rubble; coped end stack; slate roof.

WALLED GARDEN: coped rubble walled garden; shallow buttresses at regular intervals; arched entrance under stepped coped overthrow with monogram and dated 1939.

Statement of Special Interest

Commanding site on Loch Lagganside.

Panel on tower inscribed "Burnt 1873 Rebuilt 1874 Finished

1878".

Various other datestones and monograms.

"Very splendid shooting lodge" built by Marquis of Abercorn

c. 1836 destroyed by fire in 1873, though portion of S wing

may date from then. Present mansion erected by Sir John

Ramsden who purchased Ardverikie Estate in 1872. Scant

remains of castle on islet close by.

References

Bibliography

THE STATISTICAL ACCOUNT iii (1792), p. 151.

NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT xiv (1839), pp. 423, 427.

Mitchell, REMINISCENCES OF MY LIFE IN THE HIGHLANDS

i (1883), p. 195.

John Clifford "Architects of the Highlands in the Nineteenth

Century A Sketch", Georgian Society BULLETILN No. 7 (1980).

Scottish Record Office, RHP 2209.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to ARDVERIKIE HOUSE, OUTBUILDINGS, GAME LARDERS, BOAT HOUSE AND WALLED GARDEN

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 16/05/2022 06:46