Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

SOUTH BALLACHULISH, BALLACHULISH HOUSE INCLUDING BOTHY, WALLED GARDEN, SUNDIAL, BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERSLB6882

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
05/10/1971
Local Authority
Highland
Planning Authority
Highland
Parish
Lismore And Appin
NGR
NN 04806 59215
Coordinates
204806, 759215

Description

Mid to late 18th century. 2-storey, 5-bay rectangular-plan laird's house (double-gabled, built in two phases - E range possibly 1764; W range possibly circa 1799); early to earlier 19th century 2-storey, 4-bay rectangular-plan wing at right angle to N; single storey kitchen wing adjoining main block to S; 20th century single storey glazed extension to rear. Early to mid 19th century rectangular-plan bothy (formerly attached to demolished service wing) to SE with dated marriage lintel (originally part of main block) and small dovecot set in S gablehead. House and bothy of white harled rubble; stone cills to W elevation of main block. Late 18th to early 19th century former random rubble walled garden (S wall now missing).

W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 5 bays. Central timber panelled door; plain fanlight; flanking windows. 5 windows to 1st floor centred above ground floor openings. Central cast-iron rooflight. Single storey extension (kitchen wing) set back to S, large timber mullioned window.

S ELEVATION: single-storey kitchen wing adjoining main block, window off-centre right.

E and S (L-PLAN COURT YARD) ELEVATIONS: MAIN BLOCK (E): 5 bays. piended porch off-centre left; flanking window to left; long single pitch conservatory flanking to right. Long central stair window; flanking 1st floor windows. Large central pitched dormer window, wholly in roof, centred above stair window, slate cheeks. Door to left kitchen wing. NORTH WING (S): 3 bays. Central timber panelled door, astragalled fanlight; flanking windows. 2 1st floor windows.

N (GARDEN) ELEVATION: MAIN BLOCK: ground floor window to left; 1st floor window above. NORTH WING: 4 bays. 3 ground floor windows; door to right return with raggles of lean-to porch. 4 1st floor windows (long stair window to far right). 3 Velux rooflights

INTERIOR: staircase to centre-plan of main block (stone risers to 1st flight); 2 earlier 19th century marble fireplaces to double drawing room (N end of main block); plain cornices; late 19th century fire surrounds to most rooms.

Predominantly plate glass in timber sash and case windows; a number of 12-pane timber sash and case windows throughout; long stair window to rear of main block and in N elevation of N wing. Pitched roofs; grey slates; coped gablehead and ridge stacks, circular clay cans.

BOTHY: single storey and attic, 3-bay, rectangular-plan bothy. Rendered. W elevation: timber door to left; central window with inscribed and dated lintel above '17 IS MW 64' (carved heart shape separating initials); stable door to right. S elevation: dovecot opening with alighting ledge to gablehead. E elevation: 3 ground floor windows. 3 Velux rooflights. N elevation: 1 ground floor window to left; 1 attic floor window to right. Pitched roof; grey slates; coped and rendered gablehead stack to S.

WALLED GARDEN: roughly rectangular-plan walled garden formerly attached to house to N (SW portion of wall removed). Central door to N wall. Random smooth stone rubble with slate vertical coping. Isolated stone steps to S.

SUNDIAL and FOUNTAIN: rubble column with slate table dial to S end of walled garden. Probably 20th century, rubble and slate circular fountain basin to N end of walled garden.

BOUNDARY WALLS and GATEPIERS: smooth rubble boundary walls to E connected to line of walled garden. Circular plan smooth rubble gatepiers to W (at A828) connected to L-plan low boundary wall; conical smooth rubble caps (recently repaired).

Statement of Special Interest

Formerly the seat of the Stewarts of Ballachulish. The marriage lintel (now incorporated into the bothy) was probably originally set in E range of the main block; the intials represent John Stewart, 5th of Ballachulish, and his wife Margaret, daughter of William Wilson of Murrayshall. The original house is said to have been built in 1640 and was also said to be the location from which the decision on the date for the Massacre of Glencoe was made in 1692. The original house was later burnt down by Hanoverian soldiers in 1746. Now open as Ballachulish House Hotel (2002). The home former home farm, located to the south, has been significantly altered in the late 20th century. The fountain and the sundial do not appear on the OS maps of 1875 and 1900.

References

Bibliography

1st edition Ordnance Survey Map (1872). RCAHMS Inventory, ARGYLL: LORN, Vol 2 (1975), Inv no. 311.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to SOUTH BALLACHULISH, BALLACHULISH HOUSE INCLUDING BOTHY, WALLED GARDEN, SUNDIAL, BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 20/06/2024 14:17