Edward Ellice of Invergarry (d.1863) purchased Glengarry and
Glenquoich estates in mid 19th century, and with his son,
also Edward Ellice, undertook a considerable building
programme, not only the mansion house of Invergarry but the
estate village of that name, complete with houses, school,
church and small hospital. Their correspondence reveals a
continuing personal interest in their estates, their tenants
and staff and detailed knowledge of building projects in
Hotel: dated 1866 and 1869; David Bryce, architect, with
1875-77 additions, together with the stables, by J MacVicar
Anderson. Scottish Baronial. Large, plain 2-storey and attic
rambling house, irregular L-plan with gabled entrance porch
in north L shaped court, and with symmetrical 4-bay south
(garden) front. All tooled ashlar with polished ashlar
Symmetrical 4-bay south elevation with projecting canted
outer bays rising full height into gabled attics corbelled to
square, each with small bipartite; central pair pedimented
dormers. Canted bays linked by low terraced balustrade, with
centre flight of steps leading to lower rubble walled
West elevation: wide projecting gabled bay to south with
canted window to ground floor. 2 simply detailed bays to
north (3 dormers).
Extensive NE wing, with corbelled angle tower SE; birdcage
bellcote at north single storey gable.
Mainly 2-pane glazing; tall coped ridge, end and wallhead
stacks; slate roofs.
Interior: original staircase in entrance hall with carved
wooden balusters; some original chimney pieces; moulded
cornices to ceilings.
Stables: U-plan single storey and attic stable block linked
to main house by pedimented segmental-headed archway. East
facing stable court closed by high coped wall with square
ashlar gate piers, with moulded caps and ball finials.
Piended dormers; 12-pane glazing; modern swept box dormer.
5-bay gabled west elevation with finialled gabletted dormers
in outer bays.
Sundial: stumpy octagonal facetted dial on moulded octagonal
stem, standing on low octagonal stone base.