Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

ROYBRIDGE, ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST MARGARETLB6838

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
23/06/1980
Local Authority
Highland
Planning Authority
Highland
Parish
Kilmonivaig
NGR
NN 26994 81424
Coordinates
226994, 781424

Description

Reginald Fairlie, 1929. Simple rectangular church with canted

chancel at east and projecting square tower at SW with

entrance porch in base. Pinned grey coursed granite rubble

with tooled granite dressings and some contrasting pink

sandstone ashlar dressings. Round-headed entrance in base of

tower, with niche and statuette above; upper stage set back

with 3 short louvred vents in each face; bellcast pyramidal

roof with apex ball finial and projecting eaves.

4 narrow pointed headed windows in south elevation divided by buttresses; similar fenestration in north elevation.

Round-headed tripartite in west gable. Chancel lit by linked round-headed lancets high in south and north walls.

Projecting gabled vestry at SE, linked to neighbouring

presbytery. Clear leaded glazing; slate roof, canted at east.

Interior; simple interior; timber ceiling.

Chancel framed by polished ashlar round-headed arch supported

by engaged facetted columns with plain capitals; ribbed

octagonal polished wood saucer shaped ceiling with central

pendant.

Statement of Special Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such.

Built to replace St Margaret's Chapel at Mulroy, by

Roybridge, of 1826.

References

Bibliography

Frederick Odo Blundell, THE CATHOLIC CHURCH IN THE HIGHLANDS,

i (1909) pp. 189-190. National Monuments Record of Scotland.

Patrick Nuttgens, REGINALD FAIRLIE, 1883-1952 (1959) p.50.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to ROYBRIDGE, ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST MARGARET

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 24/10/2021 14:10