Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

GLASSAUGH WINDMILLLB6761

Status: Removed

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
22/02/1972
Date Removed:
12/07/2016
Local Authority
Aberdeenshire
Planning Authority
Aberdeenshire
Parish
Fordyce
NGR
NJ 56016 65713
Coordinates
356016, 865713

Removal Reason

Dual designation

Description

Mid 18th century, possibly 1761. 4-storey tapering circular

windmill encompassed by circular platform base. Rubble,

tooled ashlar dressings. 2 doorways at 1st floor level

give on to roof of circular base (which forms wall-walk)

around 1st floor of windmill; 3 1st, 2nd and 3rd floor

windows of diminishing size set one above the other at

regular intervals around tower; 4 segmental-headed wide

openings in ground floor. Wallhead crowned with dressed

ashlar cope; 2 small holes visible in S side of cope,

these formerly retained pinion rings for staying

sails.

Statement of Special Interest

Scheduled Monument.

The unusual wide base of the windmill may be of slightly

later build; the masonry is inferior to that of the windmill

tower. 2 mid 18th century topographical drawings of

Glassaugh House reveal the windmill, with sails, in the

background. General James Abercrombie of Glassaugh

retired from the army in 1759 and devoted himself to his

estate until his death in 1781. The earliest known

documentary reference to the windmill is in a letter dated

23 August, 1761 from the General to his daughter referring to

high winds which had almost blown off 'the pompon of the

wind Miln which was only sett up yesterday'.

References

Bibliography

John Hume, THE INDUSTRIAL ARCHAEOLOGY OF SCOTLAND ii (1977),

pp.175-6. Mary Mackie, 'Glassaugh Windmill, Banffshire',

MORAY FIELD CLUB BULLETIN 9 (1981), pp.16-19. Also mid 18th

century topographical painting of Glassaugh including

windmill; copy in possession of present owners.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to GLASSAUGH WINDMILL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 26/05/2019 22:18