Skip to content
Print
Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

BLAIRMORE PIER, FORMER TICKET OFFICELB6611

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Information

  • Category: C
  • Group Category Details: B - See Notes
  • Date Added: 26/05/1993

Location

  • Local Authority: Argyll And Bute
  • Planning Authority: Argyll And Bute
  • Parish: Dunoon And Kilmun
  • National Park: Loch Lomond And The Trossachs

National Grid Reference

  • NGR: NS 19531 81743
  • Coordinates: 219531, 681743

Description

Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority

The former ticket office, a small rectangular Swiss cottage style building with a decorative timber screen, was built c1873 to serve the steamer traffic to Blairmore Pier. The office makes a picturesque contribution to the collection of buildings at Blairmore Pier and is a rare surviving example of the style in the area.

The first pier was built at Blairmore in 1855 (McCrorie and Monteith, 1982, 43). A plan drawn for Campbell in 1857 (Smith, 1857) appears to show a different office, with a large verandah on the sea (E) side. In 1873 considerable improvements were carried out to the pier (Ordnance Gazetteer, 1882) and it is likely that this involved the construction of the present office. At present (2004) in poor condition, the small rectangular-plan office is of rubble with red sandstone dressings. To the S is a verandah with a pierced and arched timber screen and decorative wrought iron baluster panels, behind which is the square ticket window. To the N is a ruinous lean-to, probably built later as toilets. To the E and the W were small gabled canopies, but only that to the W has survived. On the E elevation there were two doors, but one was later blocked up to form a window.

Materials: whin and schist rubble with red sandstone dressings. Decorative timber screens and posts, wrought iron railings. Graded grey slate roof with overhanging eaves, bracketted to verandah.

Statement of Special Interest

The pier was built by Campbell of Monzie to serve and encourage further development N along the shore. Steamers to and from Arrochar and Lochgoilhead called regularly at Blairmore. Regular services to the pier ceased in 1971.

Part of a B-Group with Blairmore Pier and Hall and Blairmore Place (see separate listings).

In November 2004 consent was granted for the extension and alteration of the building to form a dwelling house.

References

Bibliography

Ordnance Survey 1st edition (c1863) and 2nd edition (c1898); Ordnance Gazzetteer of Scotland (c1882); Smith, G, Plan of Portinstuck Pier, Blairmore (1857), Register House Plan 2759; McCrorie, I and Monteith, J, Clyde Piers- A Pictorial Record (1982); Walker, F A and Sinclair, F, North Clyde Estuary: an Illustrated Architectural Guide (1992), 135-6; Walker, F A, Buildings of Scotland: Argyll and Bute (2000), 147; Photographs, NMRS.

About Designations

Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for the designation of buildings, monuments, gardens and designed landscapes and historic battlefields. We also advise Scottish Ministers on the designation of historic marine protected areas.

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record.

Map

There is no map available for this record.

Printed: 29/07/2016 11:09