Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

ALEXANDRIA, MIDDLETON STREET, CHRISTIE PARK PRIMARY SCHOOL WITH GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALL AND RAILINGSLB6610

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
24/05/1993
Supplementary Information Updated
29/03/1996
Local Authority
West Dunbartonshire
Planning Authority
West Dunbartonshire
Parish
Bonhill
NGR
NS 38809 80316
Coordinates
238809, 680316

Description

1884, extended 1902. Substantial, 2-storey and 2-storey and mezzanine, near-symmetrical, rectangular-plan school with classical detailing. Red sandstone. Base course, lintel and cill courses, architraved windows to principal elevation, bracketted eaves.

E (ENTRANCE/MIDDLETON STREET) ELEVATION: taller 2-storey and mezzanine, 5-bay block slightly advanced at centre, flanked by 3-bay wings.

ENTRANCE BLOCK: 3 windows to centre at ground, flanked by corniced doorways, 2-leaf doors. 5 regular windows to mezzanine above, including architraved windows to outer bays with keystones. Slightly advanced and corbelled, round-arched tripartite window to centre at 1st floor with pilaster mullions. Architraved and corniced, round-arched windows at ground to flanking wings. Shouldered and architrave to 1st floor windows.

S (SIDE) ELEVATION: 15 bays, window to each bay with dorway to 6th bay from right.

N ELEVTION: 11 bays with taller 4-bay block to outer right.

6-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate piend and platform slate roof; cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: not seen 1995.

HALL: rectangular-plan, red sandstone hall to N, linked by covered walkway to main block of school. Round-arched window to E, 5-bay side elevation.

BOUNDARY WALL AND GATEPIERS: red sandstone ruibble, semicircular coping. Square red sandstone piers, moulded caps.

Statement of Special Interest

The school was originally known as Alexandria North School, it was enlarged in 1902 and it became the first Vale of Leven Academy Secondary School. The school is an early example of a developed Board school and the extension an example of the changes resulting from the implementation of the legislation introducing secondary schools.

References

Bibliography

Information courtesy of the Vale of Leven Amenities Society.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to ALEXANDRIA, MIDDLETON STREET, CHRISTIE PARK PRIMARY SCHOOL WITH GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALL AND RAILINGS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 16/08/2022 22:47