There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Group Category Details
- SEE NOTES
- Date Added
- Local Authority
- Planning Authority
- NO 33146 37316
- 333146, 737316
Late 18th century; extended and former brewhouse converted to squash court by J Donald Mills and Godfrey D B Shepherd, earlier 20th century. Asymmettrical group of buildings roughly aligned N-S to E of mansion house. Grouping comprised single storey covered standing to N, single storey and attic stable and coach house to centre and high single storey squash court to S; single storey garage adjoined to W elevation. White painted rubble, painted weather-boarding to garage, vertically boarded timber with timber-framed lattice work above to covered standing.
E ELEVATION: stable block at centre: timber boarded and glazed door off-centre to left, bipartite to left, single window to right; tile-hung hayloft dormer to centre with boarded timber door. Squash court to left with door to gable and louvred ventilator at apex. Covered standing slightly recessed to right with weatherboarding to apex of gable.
W ELEVATION:, weatherboarded garage advanced at left with large 2-leaf door to N gable and semi circular fanlight above.
Various multi-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows to stable and coach house; later uPVC glazing to squash court. Pitched grey slate roofs; linear rooflights to squash court, rooflights to stable and coach house and covered standing.
INTERIOR (seen 2011): squash court has timber well stair to viewing gallery, slender steel roof trusses.
Statement of Special Interest
A-Group consisting of Auchterhouse Old Mansion House; Auchterhouse Dovecot; Auchterhouse Laundry; Auchterhouse Lodge and Gatepiers; Auchterhouse Stable, Coach House and Squash Court; Road Bridge over Auchterhouse Burn and Weir Adjacent to Road Bridge (see separate list entries).
This former brewhouse, stable and coach house is an important component of the Auchterhouse estate. Constructed in the mid nineteenth century the building is one of the earliest surviving ancillary buildings on the Auchterhouse estate, but which was substantially altered in the early twentieth century for use as a squash court and garage. The ancillary buildings at Auchterhouse were predominantly constructed from the late 18th to the early 20th century and as such are important in understanding the development of this estate as well as enhancing the architectural and historic setting of the Old Mansion House.
Auchterhouse was an important country seat which passed successively by marriage through the families of the Ogilvys of Airlie, Earls of Buchan, Earls of Strathmore, and returning to the Ogilvys in 1715. James Stewart, 1st Earl of Buchan, was the nephew of James III of Scotland, who in 1469 was given the titles of Earl of Buchan and Lord Auchterhouse.
In 1923 the property was sold to W H Valentine who made a number of alterations to the mansion house, ancillary buildings and the wider estate. The brewhouse mentioned in the Inventory of Auchterhouse is presumed to have been converted to a squash court for W H Valentine by Mills and Shepherd, a Dundee architectural practice.
Auchterhouse, Old Mansion House incorporates fragments of a 13th century castle, which was owned by Sir John Ramsey, a close associate of William Wallace. In 1308 Ramsey entertained Wallace and 300 of his followers at the property when he returned to Scotland from Flanders. The ruinous tower to the SE of the house is called Wallace Tower (Scheduled Monument), in commemoration of this visit.
Statutory address and list description revised 2012. Formerly listed as "Auchterhouse Old Mansion House Hotel Stable/Coach House/Squash Court".
Evident on 1st edition Ordnance Survey Map (surveyed 1860, published 1865). Inventory of household furniture, farm stock and other plenishings at Auchterhouse, 1764-1803, NAS GD16.33.39. C McKean and D Walker Dundee: An Illustrated Architectural Guide (1993), pp165-66.
About Listed Buildings
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing and if a number or name is missing from a listing address it may still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing can also cover structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority advises on the need for listed building consent and they also decide what a listing covers. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at email@example.com.
There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to AUCHTERHOUSE OLD MANSION HOUSE, COACH HOUSE, STABLE AND SQUASH COURT
There are no images available for this record.
Printed: 20/01/2019 07:38