Late 19th century. Single storey, 6-bay rectangular-plan laundry to E of mansion house, White painted brick. Saw-toothed eaves course. Projecting ashlar cills. Segmental-headed openings. Off-centre entrance door with fanlight. Boarded laundry chute opening to W elevation.
12-pane top-hopper windows. Mono-pitched roof, grey slates. Brick end stacks.
INTERIOR (seen 2011): coomb ceiling with sheet asbestos lining; drying racks; boarded laundry chute enclosure; linen press marked 'A Gibe, Nottingham Place'; 3 vitreous enamelled sinks; water tank and electric boiler attached to S wall.
Statement of Special Interest
A-Group consisting of Auchterhouse Old Mansion House; Auchterhouse Dovecot; Auchterhouse Laundry; Auchterhouse Lodge and Gatepiers; Auchterhouse Stable, Coach House and Squash Court; Road Bridge over Auchterhouse Burn and Weir Adjacent to Road Bridge (see separate list entries).
A rare example of unaltered purpose-built estate laundry building, including many original fixtures. Large and successful estates required all modern conveniences and constructed specialised laundry buildings to accommodate this activity. The building is a good example of its type with a plan-form of two rooms: one for washing and one for ironing. This functional building exhibits good brick detailing such as the saw-toothed eaves course and the coursed stacks. The Laundry is one of a number of estate buildings constructed at Auchterhouse from the late 18th to early 20th century and as such is important in understanding the development of this estate as well as enhancing the architectural and historic setting of the Old Mansion House..
Auchterhouse was an important country seat which passed successively by marriage through the families of the Ogilvys of Airlie, Earls of Buchan, Earls of Strathmore, and returning to the Ogilvys in 1715. James Stewart, 1st Earl of Buchan, was the nephew of James III of Scotland, who in 1469 was given the titles of Earl of Buchan and Lord Auchterhouse.
Auchterhouse, Old Mansion House incorporates fragments of a 13th century castle, which was owned by Sir John Ramsey, a close associate of William Wallace. In 1308 Ramsey entertained Wallace and 300 of his followers at the property when he returned to Scotland from Flanders. The ruinous tower to the SE of the house is called Wallace Tower (Scheduled Monument), in commemoration of this visit.
Statutory address and list description revised 2012. Formerly listed as "Auchterhouse Old Mansion House Hotel Laundry".