Substantial mansion house with complex building history. Possible evolution is as follows: L-plan house, earlier 18th century, with stairblock in re-entrant angle, possibly on site of late 16th century house (a pediment dated 1595 is incorporated in the stable block); 3-storey rectangular plan earlier 19th century block added to S, doubling mansion in size, and with simultaneous alterations to earlier fabric; additional 3-storey bay added to E by mid 19th century, main entrance moved to S and given classical porch; service court formed at NW by addition of irregular piend roofed outbuildings, possibly at same date: entire house reconstructed before 1939, after fire of circa 1930.
Rubble cream sandstone, harl pointing to earlier work, with broad droving to dressings; grey ashlar dressings to mid 19th century additions.
S BLOCK: eaves cornice; irregular elevation to S, with advanced, canted bay off-centre to left, bay to left, and 2 bays to right; wide later bay advanced to outer right; tall windows to principal floor; tripartites to ground and principal floor of outer right bay; classical, corniced ashlar porch added in mid 19th century at centre, with keystoned, moulded door surround and 2-leaf panelled doors.
Side elevations each of 2 bays, with 2-storey corniced canted bay added to E elevation.
L-PLAN HOUSE: some windows still with relieving arches, suggesting 18th century date, others largely altered; scrolled skewputts to ashlar coped skews (later additions; roof pitch lowered); end stacks. Chamfered angles to stairblock, piend roof.
SERVICE BUILDINGS: rectangular range added to N end of N-S wing of L-plan, single storey, piend roofed. 2 interlocked blocks on falling ground to W, added to NW corner of E-W wing of L-plan.
Square and horizontal 12- and multi-pane glazing pattern in sash and case windows. Grey slates.
INTERIOR: largely destroyed by fire, circa 1930; features retained include elliptical, cantilevered stone stairs with timber balustrade, in stairblock, 18th century, and ornate mid 18th century white marble chimneypiece in E drawing room, brought from Senate Room, Edinburgh University, Old Quad.
WALLED GARDEN AND HOT-HOUSE: large walled garden, with rubble walls of varying heights, partly brick lined and partly harl pointed, sited to W of house. Gateway to E with brick segmental archway and stone overthrow; decorative wrought-iron gate. Decorative late 19th century (?) hot-house, rectangular plan, sited in SE quarter of garden.
BRIDGE: single span rubble bridge of short span over burn to W of house, probably 19th century, and close to service buildings. Round arch; semi-circular coping to parapet.