Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

Drem Farmhouse including outbuildings and boundary walls and excluding scheduled monument SM5465, DremLB6323

Status: Designated

Documents

Where documents include maps, the use of this data is subject to terms and conditions (https://portal.historicenvironment.scot/termsandconditions).

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
19/06/1991
Last Date Amended
11/07/2017
Supplementary Information Updated
14/07/2017
Local Authority
East Lothian
Planning Authority
East Lothian
Parish
Athelstaneford
NGR
NT 50820 79490
Coordinates
350820, 679490

Description

Late 18th century 2-storey farmhouse, aligned east west, extended to double pile to south in 19th century with additional wings to north and east. Random rubble with grey ashlar dressings, east elevation rendered and lined.

SOUTH ELEVATION: 2-storey, 3-bay; 3 tall windows at ground, 3 smaller at 1st floor. Entrance via recessed single storey wing with attic adjoining the east gable; porch with cornice and blocking course, door with strip fanlight, 2 small lancet windows on return, repeated to right. Canted dormer with polygonal roof above.

WEST ELEVATION: gable ends of 2 builds, bridged. Large canted tripartite to left at ground with cornice and blocking course, single window to right at ground, 3 smaller windows at 1st floor. Lower wing with catslide roof to the north; doorway with 2 windows to right at ground, single window above to attic.

Sash and case windows, various glazing patterns.

Grey slates, straight skews, ashlar coped end stacks.

Statement of Special Interest

In accordance with Section 1 (4A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 the following are excluded from the listing: the detached outbuildings to the east drive and scheduled monument SM5465 (St Johns Chapel)

Listed building record and statutory address updated in 2017. Previously listed as 'Drem Farmhouse and St John's Chapel'.

References

Bibliography

Canmore: http://canmore.org.uk/ CANMORE ID 56358

Maps

Ordnance Survey (Surveyed 1853, Published 1854) Haddingtonshire, Sheet 5 (includes: Athelstaneford; Dirleton; North Berwick; Prestonkirk; Whitekirk and Tynninghame) 6 inch to the mile. 1st Edition. Southampton: Ordnance Survey.

Printed Sources

McWilliam, C. (1978) Building of Scotland Lothian Except Edinburgh, Butler and Tanner Ltd, London. p178.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

Drem Farmhouse, looking north during daytime, on clear day with blue sky.
Drem Farmhouse, looking west during daytime, on clear day with blue sky.

Map

Map

Printed: 25/07/2024 10:20