Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

MENSTRIE, ELMBANK/MENSTRIE MILLLB6228

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
29/11/1990
Local Authority
Clackmannanshire
Planning Authority
Clackmannanshire
Parish
Alva
NGR
NS 84768 96788
Coordinates
284768, 696788

Description

Probably circa 1860. 2-storey mill with classical details, long rectangular plan-block aligned N-S, ddep on plan with double ridged roof (slated). Rubble with ashlar dressings, continuous eaves cornice.

N ELEVATION: symmetrical, 5-bay and villa-like. Door at centre with pilastered and corniced doorpiece, 6-panelled door, and broad 6-pane fanlight. 2 windows flanking, 5 windows at 1st floor, all 12-pane sash and case. Clock to centre above cornice, in consoled Regency-style surround on moulded pedestal. Piended roof, paired cenrtrally placed stacks.

E & W ELEVATION: 14-bay, with tall, multipane windows (larger than those to N). Fenestration interrupted on E elevation by door and fire escape.

S ELEVATION: 4-bay, supported by brick buttresses. Slated, piended M-roof, corniced stacks.

INTERIOR: double timber cross beams supporting 1st floor built directly into the stonework, supported by single row of centrally positioned cast-iron columns. Tension rods on underside of cross beams. Roof supported centrally by timber runner carried on cast-iron columns continued up from 1st floor

Statement of Special Interest

This mill is the only remaining building of a sizeable complex on the Menstrie Burn, now in use as offices and a store. The original buildings were erected in 1864 by Messrs Drummond and Johnstone; Johnstone later bought out the firm, and this building probably dates from around that time. The north end of the building would have served as a counting house, with timepiece for the employees. It is detached from the main buildings and was therefore probably not used for spinning or weaving, and may have been used as a yarn store. The internal strcuture however, with unusual tie rods tensioning the cross beams does suggest a manufacturing function; similar features appear in a weaving mill added to Tweed Mill, Galashiels.

References

Bibliography

B A Park THE WOOLLEN MILL BUILDING IN THE HILLFOOTS AREA>

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to MENSTRIE, ELMBANK/MENSTRIE MILL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 19/11/2019 05:47