Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

SKIBO CASTLE AND GARDEN TERRACES, WALLED GARDEN AND GLASSHOUSESLB597

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
18/03/1971
Supplementary Information Updated
04/03/2003
Local Authority
Highland
Planning Authority
Highland
Parish
Dornoch
NGR
NH 73624 89052
Coordinates
273624, 889052

Description

Dated 1900. Ross Macbeth. Very large Scottish Baronial castellated mansion incorporating earlier house. Tooled ashlar, polished ashlar dressings. Asymmetrical, 4 and 5 storeys, long composite south and west facades opening to terrace. Principal entrance in east elevation with imposing porte cochere. Bowed and canted bay windows, some single storey, some full height; square and round towers and turrets, crenellation, crowsteps and fanciful decorative detailing in Scots idiom including plant forms and animals. Mullioned and transomed windows, corbelled angle turrets. Plainer wings to rear enclosing service court with built-in garages.

Interior; ornate interior including baronial hall and library.

Gardens and terrace; Thomas Mawson, 1904. Terraces in front of and descending from house with stone balustraded and ball finialled steps; sundial at head of eastern steps. Walled garden; walled garden to east of mansion with lean-to glasshouses and polygonal end tower.

Glasshouses; large range of early 20th century glasshouses to north of

castle with thistle motif cast-iron ridge cresting and decorative finials.

Statement of Special Interest

Site of medieval castle belonging to Diocese of Caithness until 1565. Subsequent castellated building included as core to present mansion.

Purchased by Andrew Carnegie about 1898, and enlarged by him. For Gate Lodge and Piers, see Creich Parish list. Sold by Mrs Carnegie Mille in 1982.

Up-graded from Category B to A 4 March 2003.

References

Bibliography

William Calder, THE ESTATE AND CASTLE OF SKIBO (1949). National Monuments Record of Scotland.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to SKIBO CASTLE AND GARDEN TERRACES, WALLED GARDEN AND GLASSHOUSES

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/09/2019 05:13