Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

SANDAY, QUIVALS FARMHOUSE, (FORMER SCHOOL), INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALL AND ANCILLARY BUILDINGSLB5910

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
08/12/1971
Local Authority
Orkney Islands
Planning Authority
Orkney Islands
Parish
Cross And Burness
NGR
HY 67033 42027
Coordinates
367033, 1042027

Description

Possibly 18th century with alter alterations and additions. 2-storey , 5-bay, asymmetrical, long, rectangular-plan crowstepped-gabled house, (former school)with single storey, single bay projection to W. Harled. Smaller 1st floor windows set close under eaves. L-plan, coursed rubble byre ranges to E; later harled, rectangular-plan garage/barn to E.

HOUSE: S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: window at ground in bay to centre. Boarded door with small-pane fanlight to gabled porch at ground in bay to right of centre; window at 1st floor above. Window at each floor in bay to outer right. Boarded door to lean-to addition slightly recessed to E. Boarded door with rectangular fanlight at ground in bay to left of centre; window at 1st floor above. Window at each floor in bay to outer left. Window in flat-roofed porch to single storey projection to W; boarded door to right return.

N (REAR) ELEVATION: 4, irregularly disposed windows at ground; central window at 1st floor above.

E (SIDE) ELEVATION: lean-to projection at ground; blank above; gablehead stack.

W (SIDE) ELEVATION: gabled projection at ground; blank above; gablehead stack.

4-, 12-, and 24-pane timber sash and case windows; small rooflights. Graded traditional stone tiled roof; stone tiles to porch and to projections; stone ridges; corniced, harled gablehead stacks to E and W; stone skews; predominantly uPVC rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: not seen, 1998.

BARN RANGES: single storey L-plan byres with equal arms; irregularly disposed boarded doors and timber-framed windows to internal elevations. Graded traditional stone tile door; stone ridge; stone skews. INTERIORS: not seen, 1998.

BOUNDARY WALLS; low rubble wall to S elevation, extending to left of main porch; rubble wall to rear of main house enclosing large, rectangular-plan garden.

Statement of Special Interest

Formerly used as a schoolhouse, Quivals is also noted as having housed one of the island's regional Post Offices. With notably small windows at the 1st floor, the building retains its crowstepped gables and traditionally graded stone tiled roof.

References

Bibliography

1st edition Ordnance Survey map, (1881), evident; 3RD STATISTICAL ACCOUNT, (1957) p110; RCAHMS, SCOTTISH FARM BUILDINGS SURVEY, VOL 2, ORKNEY (SANDAY), 1998, p 21.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to SANDAY, QUIVALS FARMHOUSE, (FORMER SCHOOL), INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALL AND ANCILLARY BUILDINGS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 26/05/2019 22:39