Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

SANDAY, CROSS, WARSETTER FARM, INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS AND ANCILLARY FARM COURTYARD WITH THRESHING BARNLB5905

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
08/12/1971
Local Authority
Orkney Islands
Planning Authority
Orkney Islands
Parish
Cross And Burness
NGR
HY 62955 37788
Coordinates
362955, 1037788

Description

Possibly 18th century with later alterations and additions. Later, (earlier 19th century) 2-storey, 3-bay symmetrical, T-plan farmhouse with pitched-roofed entrance porch to principal (S) elevation and single storey gabled projection to rear. Single storey ancillary farm courtyard with entrance to SW, comprising byre ranges around rectangular yard; 1 1/2 storey barn/store terminating S range; 2-storey threshing barn, disposed at right angles, terminating W range. Harled farmhouse; roughly coursed drystone rubble to ancillary courtyard.

FARMHOUSE: SOUTH (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: window in gabled porch at ground in bay to centre; boarded door in right return; window at 1st floor above. Window at each floor in each bay remaining.

NORTH (REAR) ELEVATION: blank gabled elevation to central projection; gablehead stack above. 2 windows to lean-to projection to internal angle to left; window at 1st floor above; window at ground in bay to outer left; timber-panelled door in lean-to projection to internal angle to right.

W (SIDE) ELEVATION: window, set to left, at each floor; gablehead stack above.

E (SIDE) ELEVATION: window, set to left, at 1st floor; gablehead stack above.

uPVC windows with top-hung upper lights. Grey slate roof; purple slate to N projection; stone ridge; harled, corniced gablehead stacks; (no cornice to gablehead stack to N projection); uPVC rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: not seen, 1998.

BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS: drystone wall with flagstone cope enclosing rectangular-plan garden to SW of house; taller W boundary with centred, boarded door; square-plan rubble gatepiers with sotne ball caps adjacent to house and to E.

FARM COURTYARD: N RANGE: S (COURTYARD) ELEVATION: 10-bay; regularly fenestrated with boarded door in bays 1, 3, 6 and 8.

E RANGE: W (COURTYARD) ELEVATION: 5-bay (formerly 6-bay), grouped 3-3. Blocked central door with windows flanking to group to left. Boarded door with window in each bay flanking in group to right. W ELEVATION: irregular, 5-bay with boarded doors in bays 1, 3 and 4; windows elsewhere.

S RANGE: N (COURTYARD) ELEVATION: blank single storey block to left; central boarded door with small window flanking to 1 1/2 storey barn to right. S ELEVATION: blank to single storey range to right. Forestair to boarded door to outer right. W (GABLED, BARN) ELEVATION: blocked window at ground with boarded door above.

W RANGE: E (COURTYARD) ELEVATION: 3-bay. Boarded door in each bay to single storey block to right. Boarded door at 1st floor in gabled elevation of threshing barn to left. THRESHING BARN: S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 6-bay with 2-bay, single storey addition set back to outer left. Single bay to main block set back to outer left. Window at ground in bays 1, 3 and 6. Variously sized boarded doors at ground and 1st floor remaining.

Timber framed windows; small rooflights to various pitches. Wide range of roofing materials including traditional, graded stone tiled roofs; some purple slate replacements; stone ridges; terracotta ridge ventilators along N and S ridges; cast-iron and uPVC rainwater goods.

INTERIORS: not seen, 1998.

Statement of Special Interest

The farmhouse may incorporate parts of Warsetter House. The lands were granted circa 1500 to Sir William Sinclair (died circa 1525), a grandson of the last Sinclair Earl of Orkney and remained in his family until acquired by John Balfour of Trenabie (Westray) in the earlier 18th century. The farm courtyard remains remarkably intact with largely original traditional stone tiled roofs; the threshing barn continues to house a threshing machine and the engine which drove it.

References

Bibliography

1st edition ordnance survey map, (1881), evident; RCAHMS, SCOTTISH FARM BUILDINGS SURVEY, VOL 2, ORKNEY (SANDAY), 1998, pp 26-27; A Goodfellow, SANDAY CHURCH HISTORY (1912), p 17; ORKNEY ARCHIVES, D8/N10.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to SANDAY, CROSS, WARSETTER FARM, INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS AND ANCILLARY FARM COURTYARD WITH THRESHING BARN

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 21/05/2019 13:42