The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.
Address/Name of Site
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Date Added
- Local Authority
- Perth And Kinross
- Planning Authority
- Perth And Kinross
- NN 82329 11287
- 282329, 711287
Complex house of several dates, much altered and difficult to date due to careful removal of quoins and matching and retooling of masonry at alterations. West wing late 17th or possibly early 18th century apparently incorporating earlier tower house at N. end; centre part perhaps early/mid 18th century; East wing said to have been built in reign of George III when the then owner was an equerry at the court, probably re-roofed to present pitch and S. gable of W. wing remodelled to match that of E. wing at that date, resulting in tall U-plan house, mainly 3-storey, severely plain rubble-built with droved dressings and
straight skews where unaltered, with symmetrical S. front with courtyard open to S. Perhaps still tempus. George III courtyard unfilled with centre 2-storey 3-window entrance bow. Turrets and centre S. crenellations, crowstepping at S. gables and hood moulds on S. front (Query if full length classical architraves cut back and re-styled) c. 1840.
2-storey E. bay window c. 1850, W. side partly remodelled later still and S. gable again altered; Victorian service wings at N.E. Woodwork of several dates from mid 18th century onwards, some moulded chimney pieces.
Statement of Special Interest
The stables are also of George III period but are considerably altered.
No Bibliography entries for this designation
About Listed Buildings
Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.
We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.
Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)
Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.
These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.
While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.
If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.
Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at email@example.com.