Original part: 3-storey L-plan with carved dormer heads
to windows and pedimented doorway dated 1634. Rubble built.
Scratch dials at several of windows and at S.E. angle.
Notable fireplace within having large lintel with swags
and coat of arms dated 1634, c. 1785-90. 3-storey mansion
in Adam castellated manner added with 4 corner towers
and bowed 4-storey centre section, rubble built: John
Paterson (Edinburgh) archt. Interior rebuilt after fire
by Sir Robert Lorimer, archt., 1908-12, notable wood and
plasterwork, retaining two notable marble fireplaces
of c. 1725. salvaged from the fire.
Statement of Special Interest
O.S.A. XV 254 refers to an artificial mount 70' high
"opposite to the foot of the principal entry" of Monzie
Castle crowned by an hexagonal Chinese temple 14' x 12'
14' h., an open columnar structure with pointed roof balcony
and a 4' bell cote. This had evidently disappeared by
the time of Neale's visit.