There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Group Category Details
- SEE NOTES
- Date Added
- Local Authority
- Planning Authority
- NO 33145 37361
- 333145, 737361
Circa 1907; extended J Donald Mills and Godfrey D B Shepherd, circa 1923. Single storey, L-plan, Scottish 17th century style lodge with early 20th century pair of gatepiers and adjoining rubble boundary walls to NE of mansion house. Harled, ashlar dressings. .Moulded apex stones. Prominent moulded scrolled skewputts. Projecting painted cills.
WEST (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: boarded door with ashlar doorcase at centre, 2 windows to right. Gable advanced to left, window to left with ashlar margins and re-used voluted pediment, window to right return elevation.
S GABLE: 2 windows.
E ELEVATION: steps leading to off-centre boarded door with ashlar doorcase and flanking windows, window to left and right, further window to far left.
N ELEVATION: original window to right. Later lower gable to centre with bipartite window to right return; lean-to to left with cat-slide roof.
Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows. Steeply-pitched grey slate roof with ashlar ridge. Ashlar-coped ridge and end stacks with single terracotta cans. Flat-coped ashlar skews with rebated joints.
INTERIOR (seen 2011): chimneypieces removed; some original boarded doors.
GATEPIERS: pair of square-section gatepiers. Harled, ashlar margined angles and corniced caps, mushroom finials on swathed bases (probably re-used).
BOUNDARY WALLS: rubble boundary walls adjoin each gatepier.
Statement of Special Interest
A-Group consisting of Auchterhouse Old Mansion House; Auchterhouse Dovecot; Auchterhouse Laundry; Auchterhouse Lodge and Gatepiers; Auchterhouse Stable, Coach House and Squash Court; Road Bridge over Auchterhouse Burn and Weir Adjacent to Road Bridge (see separate list entries).
Sited to the NE of the Old Mansion House the lodge and gatepiers are important ancillary components of the estate and enhance the architectural and historic setting of the Old Mansion House. The Lodge first appears in the Valuation Roll for 1908-09 and the gatepiers were probably erected at the same time. Although constructed in the early 20th century the lodge is designed in the style of a 17th century lodge to echo Auchterhouse mansion house. The lodge and gatepiers exhibit good architectural details such as moulded scrolled skewputts, moulded apex stones, coped ashlar stacks, and carved finials to the gatepiers. The voluted pediment to the W elevation is understood to be a fragment of the 17th century mansion house. The lodge and Gatepiers are one of a number of estate buildings constructed at Auchterhouse from the late 18th to the early 20th century and as such is important in understanding the development of this estate.
Auchterhouse was an important country seat which passed successively by marriage through the families of the Ogilvys of Airlie, Earls of Buchan, Earls of Strathmore, and returning to the Ogilvys in 1715. James Stewart, 1st Earl of Buchan, was the nephew of James III of Scotland, who in 1469 was given the titles of Earl of Buchan and Lord Auchterhouse.
In 1923 the property was sold to W H Valentine who made a number of alterations to the mansion house, ancillary buildings and the wider estate. This included the extension of the lodge by Mills and Shepherd, a Dundee architectural practice.
Auchterhouse, Old Mansion House incorporates fragments of a 13th century castle, which was owned by Sir John Ramsey, a close associate of William Wallace. In 1308 Ramsey entertained Wallace and 300 of his followers at the property when he returned to Scotland from Flanders. The ruinous tower to the SE of the house is called Wallace Tower (Scheduled Monument), in commemoration of this visit.
Statutory Address and list description revised 2012. Formerly listed as two separate listings "Auchterhouse Old Mansion House Hotel Lodge" and "Auchterhouse Old Mansion House Hotel Gatepiers and Adjoining Boundary Walls".
Evident on 3rd Edition Ordnance Survey (surveyed 1921, published 1926). Valuation Roll, 1908-09. Drawing for extension, RCAHMS, AND/8/2. C McKean and D Walker Dundee: An Illustrated Architectural Guide (1993), pp165-66.
About Listed Buildings
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing and if a number or name is missing from a listing address it may still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing can also cover structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority advises on the need for listed building consent and they also decide what a listing covers. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at email@example.com.
There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to AUCHTERHOUSE, OLD MANSION HOUSE, LODGE, GATEPIERS AND ADJOINING BOUNDARY WALLS
There are no images available for this record.
Printed: 18/01/2019 21:51