Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

ARDCLACH OLD PARISH CHURCH AND BURIAL GROUNDLB554

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
26/01/1971
Local Authority
Highland
Planning Authority
Highland
Parish
Ardclach
NGR
NH 95476 45025
Coordinates
295476, 845025

Description

Donald McAndrew 1765, remodelling church of 1626 (evident in roll mouldings at E gable). Heightened and given round-headed windows by George Dunbar and John Wilson 1836-8. Interior recast by

Alexander Reid, 1892. Plain T-plan church, rubble with tooled dressings. 2 entrances in north elevation, flanking rear wing, each with round-headed window using lintel as cill. 4 large round-headed windows light long south elevation with single, similar windows in east and west elevations of rear wing; similar small gallery windows. Lattice pane glazing; slate roof.

Mural memorial of 1766 in east gable Interior; galleried interior stripped of most fittings.

Statement of Special Interest

Building no longer in ecclesiastical use.

Ardclach created a parish in 1650. Church sited at bend of River Findhorn on site of earlier church of St Luag. That portion of

the parish at Ferness crossed the river by a bridge formerly

sited close to church.

Pulpit and some pews from church now in present Parish Church,

the former Free Church. 1766 mural monument in east gable

"Erected" by William Baron, Minister and Jean Grant his wife

to Hugh their son and "ten more of sons and daughters. C(S) to B 23.3.94

References

Bibliography

NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT, xiii, (1842) p.40. George Bain, HISTORY OF NAIRNSHIRE (1893) pp. 502-506. George Hay, THE ARCHITECTURE OF SCOTTISH POST-REFORMATION CHURCHES (1957) p.173. National Monuments Record of Scotland. Gifford (1992) p265.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to ARDCLACH OLD PARISH CHURCH AND BURIAL GROUND

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 20/04/2024 05:11