Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

NORTH RONALDSAY, HOLLAND HOUSE, INCLUDING OUTBUILDINGS, GARDEN WALLS, STEADING AND COTTAGESLB5274

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Group Category Details
100000020 - see notes
Date Added
30/03/1994
Local Authority
Orkney Islands
Planning Authority
Orkney Islands
Parish
Cross And Burness
NGR
HY 75597 53102
Coordinates
375597, 1053102

Description

Early 19th century core, enlarged, S Baikie, 1872, and T S Peace, 1905. 2-storey house with single storey additions and outbuildings in rambling plan. Tower in re-entrant angle, 1905. Rubble masonry, partially harled, droved ashlar dressings and later concrete mullions and margins. Long and short margins to windows; long and short quoins.

E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: crowstepped gable end of original house advanced to right; 2 windows (enlarged from original) at ground and smaller window breaking into gablehead above to left; gablehead stack above. Taller, later wing to centre and left, 1872; ball finialled, gabled stone porch at centre at re-entrant angle formed with original house; boarded door in basket-arched doorway; window in left return; window 1st floor above. Bipartite window (1905?) at ground in bay to left; pair of small window under eaves at 1st floor above.

S (GARDEN) ELEVATION: gable end of 1872 wing to right with piend-roofed, 3-light, canted window at ground; window at 1st floor above. 3 bays to left; modern lean-to conservatory to outer left and projecting bipartite window bridging centre and right bay; 3 regularly disposed bipartite windows at 1st floor with gabled and finialled dormerheads bearing heraldic shields.

TOWER: square-plan tower with corbelled parapet and coped dies; windows to upper stage; long and short quoins.

Predominantly 2- and 4-pane timber sash and case windows; some uPVC replacements to S elevation; fixed timber-framed windows to tower. Grey and purple slate roofs; gablet coped skews and console bracketed skewputts to porch to E; mid-point kneelers to skews and ball finial to 1872 gable to S; coped skews elsewhere; stone ridges; rubble corniced stacks; tall cans; predominantly cast-iron rainwater goods.

OUTBUILDINGS: single storey service range to W of house; materials as above; end stacks; grey slate roof. Lean-to, single storey 2-bay workshop (?) to E of house, abutting steading to N. Bipartite window to left; single window to right; tall, coped stack, with lead ram's head at base, dividing bays.

GARDEN WALLS: coped rubble walls with 2 pairs of square-plan gatepiers sited to E and S of house; concrete caps. 3 evenly disposed iron canons to S of garden, (see Notes).

Statement of Special Interest

B-Group with Holland House Steading, Factors's House and Bothy and the New Church. Holland House was the last house to be occupied by a leading local family, the Traills, who pruchased the island in 1727. Until the 1967 Crofting Reform Act, North Ronaldsay was the last estate-owned island in Orkney. The canons found in the garden were rescued from the wreck of the Crown Prince in 1744. The adjoining gardens are an important focus for bird migration and provide the only sizeable concentration of trees and shrubs on the island.

References

Bibliography

Appears on 1st edition OS map (1882); North Ronaldsay Community Council, THE ISLAND OF NORTH RONALDSAY, (pamphlet); information also courtesy of owner, Duncan Robertson, who hold the 1872 signed and dated plans; NMRS Photographic Records, 7273, 4661.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to NORTH RONALDSAY, HOLLAND HOUSE, INCLUDING OUTBUILDINGS, GARDEN WALLS, STEADING AND COTTAGES

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 24/04/2024 22:24