Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

NORTH RONALDSAY, OLD KIRK, (FORMERLY FREE CHURCH), INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERSLB5273

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Group Category Details
100000020 - see notes
Date Added
30/03/1994
Local Authority
Orkney Islands
Planning Authority
Orkney Islands
Parish
Cross And Burness
NGR
HY 75454 53225
Coordinates
375454, 1053225

Description

1812; belltower, probably T S Peace, 1906. 4 x single bay, rectangular-plan, crowstepped-gabled church with square-plan, 3-stage, crenellated belltower to E gable and low vestry to W. Harled. Corbelled string course below crenellations to tower.

E (GABLED, ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 2-leaf boarded doors to S of lean-to porch in re-entrant angle between gable and tower; window to gablehead above. Window at each stage (top opening louvered) to tower offset to right of centre; window (louvered) in each remaining face at 3rd stage.

S (SIDE) ELEVATION: evenly disposed window in each of 4 bays.

N (REAR) ELEVATION: blank

W (VESTRY) ELEVATION: centred, gabled vestry advanced from W gable; gablehead stack; window below main church gable above.

Fixed timber, margin-paned windows to main church; 4-pane timber sash and case windows to tower; louvered openings at 3rd stage. Graded stone tiled roof; stone ridge; rubble, corniced gablehead stack with tall can to vestry; cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: fielded, timber, coombed ceiling; timber staircases to timber-panelled gallery at each (E and W) end; tiered timber pews; timber pews beneath at ground; centred, carved timber octagonal pulpit to S wall; blind gothic arch decoration; cast-iron balusters with timber handrail; brass candle sconces flanking; adjustable timber bookrest with functioning cast-iron mechanism; timber-panelled sounding board; centred, carved timber organ opposite to N wall.

BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS: rubble walls enclosing rectangular-plan churchyard to SW of church; harled, corniced, square-plan gatepiers to S wall; timber gates.

Statement of Special Interest

No longer in ecclesiastical use. A plain, crowstepped Parliamentary Church, given a belltower to house a bell donated by W H Traill who also donated the massive pulpit. As T S Peace was working on the neighbouring Holland House, the home of the Traill family in 1905, it seems highly probable that he also worked on the church at that time. B-group with Holland House and Steading.

References

Bibliography

Appears on 1st edition OS map (1882); G Hay, THE ARCHITECTURE OF SCOTTISH POST-REFORMATION CHURCHES (1957) p 267; L Burgher, ORKNEY, AN ILLUSTRATED ARCHITECTURAL GUIDE (1991), p 100; J Gifford, HIGHLAND AND ISLANDS (1992), p 347; North Ronaldsay Community Council, THE ISLAND OF NORTH RONALDSAY, (pamphlet); NMRS Photographic Records, O/969/6, (1966), 7274.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to NORTH RONALDSAY, OLD KIRK, (FORMERLY FREE CHURCH), INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 24/04/2024 22:11