Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

CHESTERHILL HOUSE INCLUDING WALLED GARDEN, NEAR NEWPORT ON TAYLB52287

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
07/10/2014
Supplementary Information Updated
23/11/2015
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Burgh
Newport-On-Tay
NGR
NO 43833 27686
Coordinates
343833, 727686

Description

Circa 1870 with west wing addition circa 1893-1912. 2-storey and attic, 4-bay, rectangular-plan, small country house in a Tudor-Italianate style with castellated detailing and including square-plan tower, set on high ground and a sloping site. Squared and snecked ashlar. Base course. Moulded margins. Shouldered gables with obelisk finials. Moulded ridge skews. Pitched-roof dormers. Main entrance to south, steps to basket-arch recessed porch with studded timber door and decorative fanlight. Door flanked by engaged columns with finial caps and moulded crest. Bowed window to right with castellated parapet. Projecting tripartite window to ground floor east elevation. Whinstone rubble with dressed quoins to circa 1890 wing addition to west. Quadripartite window to first floor west elevation with oculus above.

Multi-horizontal pane glazing to timber sash and case windows. Slate roof. Cast iron rainwater goods. Moulded coped stacks with octagonal clay cans.

INTERIOR: not seen (2013).

WALLED GARDEN at NO 43779 27708: early 19th century, large oval walled garden to the northwest of the house. Whinstone rubble with squared dressed coping stones.

Statement of Special Interest

Chesterhill is well detailed country residence using good quality stone work and is likely to date to around 1870. It has a number of distinctive architectural features including castellated parapets, square-plan Italianate tower, shouldered skews and a horizontal (or lying-pane) glazing pattern. The house sits within a slight hollow on a secluded sloping site surrounded by woodland with a finely constructed oval walled garden located to the northwest. Oval-shaped walled gardens of the late 18th or early 19th century that survive largely intact are relatively rare in Scotland.

The name of the property was changed to 'Chesterhill' from 'Cliff' in 1970 after being purchased by the family of the current owner. The name of Chesterhill is associated with the Berry family of nearby Tayfield House, who owned a neighbouring property, also called Chesterhill, throughout the 19th century.

The house appears to be built on the site of an earlier property called Cliff Terrace, which is shown on the 1854 Ordnance Survey map as an irregular-plan building. The oval walled garden is also depicted on this map.

Newport On Tay was a popular place for Dundee merchants to live, as they could travel to and from their business via a steamer across the Tay. We know from newspaper records that is the case for Chesterfield as Dundee Merchant Thomas Powrie died at Cliff Terrace in 1847 and his widow was resident there until 1854. An 1859 advert to let the property mentions stables, coach house and byre, and these are depicted on the 1854 Ordnance Survey map. These buildings had been demolished by the time of the 1893 Ordnance Survey map.

The Dundee Trade Directories record that Dundee flax merchant Edward Parker was living at Cliff Terrace between 1861 and 1877, by which time the property was being referred to as 'Cliff'. The present house was probably built during this period. A further additional wing was added to the west between 1894 and 1912, as it is shown on the 1912 Ordnance Survey map.

References

Bibliography

Ordnance Survey (surveyed 1854, published 1856) 25 Inch to the Mile. London: Ordnance Survey

Ordnance Survey (surveyed 1893, published 1894) 6 Inch to the Mile. London: Ordnance Survey

Ordnance Survey (1957) 6 Inch to the Mile. London: Ordnance Survey

Dundee Perth and Cupar Advertiser. (21 January 1859) "Advertisement To Let" p. 23.

Dundee Trade Directory (1861) Dundee: James P Matthew and Co. p.117

Dundee Trade Directory (1874-75) Dundee: James P Matthew and Co. p.216

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to CHESTERHILL HOUSE INCLUDING WALLED GARDEN, NEAR NEWPORT ON TAY

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 01/12/2022 16:55