Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

LADIES' GOLF CLUBHOUSE, MACHRIHANISH GOLF CLUB, MACHRIHANISHLB52262

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
31/07/2014
Local Authority
Argyll And Bute
Planning Authority
Argyll And Bute
Burgh
Campbeltown
NGR
NR 63944 20681
Coordinates
163944, 620681

Description

Attributed to H.E. Clifford, circa 1893 - 1896 (with slightly lower piend-roof addition circa 1940 to rear). Single storey, 3-bay, rectangular-plan ladies' golf club house at coastal location on raised ground opposite the first tee of the Machrihanish golf course, Kintyre. Timber veranda with decorative turned timber posts and bracketed eaves to north (entrance) elevation with central pediment over quadripartite canted window and recessed entrance to left corner angle. Good Edwardian golf club timber interior scheme. Coursed sandstone rubble. Shallow piended roof with raised roof ridge and end finials.

12-pane glazing to upper section of timber framed windows to front. Timber windows to side and rear. Grey graded slates. Cast iron downpipes.

INTERIOR: 70 timber lockers line the walls, relocated from the men's clubhouse in 1965. Fitted timber fire surround. Timber panelling to dado-height, panelled doors and beaded door surrounds throughout. Wide segmental archway through to rear extension. Terracotta and black floor tiles to vestibule.

Statement of Special Interest

The Machrihanish Ladies' Golf Clubhouse is a rare, early Ladies' Golf Club House in Scotland and an excellent and remarkably unaltered example of golf clubhouse architecture of the 1890s. The distinctive shallow-pitch roof and decorative timber veranda demonstrate a particularly good level of detail and the connection with the notable Glasgow architect H E Clifford adds further to its interest.

The core building is small, reflecting the period of construction. The 1940s piended roof extension to the building is built from the same material as the 1896 building with an internal segmental arch between the two sections. Early clubhouses were typically enlarged in stages as the popularity of the game increased throughout the 19th and 20th century. The central chimney stack seen in early 20th century photographs of the building is no longer extant. Otherwise there appears to have been little change to the character of the building since 1893.

Machrihanish was a fishing settlement known as Salt Pans, but golf has been the village's centre of focus for more than a century. Machrihanish Golf Club was established in 1876, with the ladies' club formed from 1890. The ladies' clubhouse was completed by 1896. The ladies' club became so popular that rules were introduced to restrict the number of guests who could be accommodated at one time. A small piended roof extension was added to the rear in the early 20th century. In 1967 the Ladies' Club became fully independent of the Men's Club, managing their own title and competitions.

Other examples of ladies' golf clubhouses in Scotland of the late 19th century that continue to function independently are relatively few. The earliest known Ladies' Club in Scotland is the Ladies' Golf Club of St Andrews (founded in 1867) who were restricted to using the putting course only at St Andrews. Carnoustie Ladies' Golf Club, inaugurated in 1873, is understood to be the oldest Ladies' Golf Club (with separate course from the men) in Scotland. The ladies' clubhouse at Carnoustie was built in 1895. The Ladies' Golf Club at Royal Troon was established in 1882 with their clubhouse (also by H E Clifford) built in 1897. The Lundin Ladies' Golf Club was formally constituted in 1891. Their 1891 clubhouse was remodelled following its relocation to a new course 20 years later.

H E Clifford achieved national fame with a number of high profile commissions in Glasgow and a line of renowned Edwardian private houses in the manner of Norman Shaw after 1900. He had close connections with the golfing world and also designed the original Machrihanish men's clubhouse in 1887 (demolished 1965). The present men's clubhouse, relocated to its current building in 1965, is adjacent to the ladies' clubhouse on slightly lower ground to the east.

Scotland is the birthplace of the modern game of golf played over 18 holes. The 'Articles and Laws in Playing Golf', a set of rules whose principles still underpin the game's current regulations, were penned in 1744 by the Company of Gentlemen Golfers (now The Honourable Company of Edinburgh Golfers). Accompanying the development of the sport during the second half of the 19th century, architects sought to give form to a new building type, the clubhouse or 'nineteenth hole'. Improved transport links and increased leisure time as well as a rise in the middle classes increased the popularity of the sport with a notable peak in the early 1900s.

References

Bibliography

Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland:

http://www.rcahms.gov.uk/canmore.html CANMORE ID: 320165

www.scottisharchitects.org.uk - H.E. Clifford - accessed May 2014.

Ordnance Survey (1893) 2nd Edition, 25 Inch to the Mile: London, Ordnance Survey

McDiarmid D.J. (1976) 100 Years of Golf at Machrihanish 1876-1976. Kinloch Print: Campbeltown.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to LADIES' GOLF CLUBHOUSE, MACHRIHANISH GOLF CLUB, MACHRIHANISH

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 08/12/2021 18:58