Lighthouse, Alan Stevenson, dated 1848 Tall (55m) 7 storey, pink tooled ashlar granite lighthouse, with semi-circular single storey projection clasping base to west. Bold but shallow entrance porch with plain ramped architraves and deep cavetto moulded cornice and shallow triangular block cornice with date.
Regular battered tower with slit windows in west wide in storeys 1-6; projecting wallhead walk with cast-iron balustrade corbelled out on pointed-headed mock machiolations. Triangular lattice glazing to domed light.
Keepers' cottages. Alan Stevenson, 1848, pair single storey 10-bay (overall) cottages. Entrances in bays 4 and 7, which together with bays 2 and 9 (each with single window) are slightly projecting. 12-pane sashes; eaves band, cavetto cornices and stepped blocking courses to projecting bays. Flat roofs with encircling blocking course; tall single and paired stacks with cavetto copes.
Keepers' houses and light linked by low coped tooled ashlar granite wall enclosing central court.
Sundial; painted fluted cast-iron sundial of standard design.
Foghorn projects from roof of small square concrete building linked by steel pipe for compressed air to harled engine house, circa 1940.
Former steading; 1848, long single storey slightly irregular 7-bay rectangular building, grey rubble with tooled pink granite dressings.
East facing front with wide centre segmental headed arched entrance with double leaf doors, flanking windows and with further door windows in outer bays, serving barn, byres and former workshops. 2 ridge stacks; piended slate roof.
Roughly coped outer perimeter wall.
Statement of Special Interest
Designed by Alan Stevenson in 1846 and built by Robert Hume, a contractor from Gatehouse of Fleet. The pink granite comes from Ross of Mull. Steading contained barn and byre to each of two keepers.
Modern keeper's house and engine room contains 3 Kelvin engines, 3 Alley compressors, a Raston generator and original prismatic lens.