Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
East Ayrshire
Planning Authority
East Ayrshire
NS 40863 51301
240863, 651301


Circa 1825, probably incorporating earlier fabric, remodelled circa 1890 (see Notes). 2-storey, 3-bay farmhouse with single-storey piend-roofed wings flanking to E and W, extending back as byres and forming courtyard to N (rear). Harled random rubble; cement render to front of house; droved ashlar quoin strips and window margins.

HOUSE: half-glazed timber panelled inner door in central barge-boarded glazed porch to S (front); flanking bipartite windows at ground; regular fenestration to 1st floor. Wings to outer left and right: W wing irregularly fenestrated to S, with shouldered wallhead stack and non-traditional door to E return (see Notes); unfenestrated E wing is byre or former threshing barn (see notes). Irregular fenestration to N (rear) (see Notes).

Predominantly 12-pane lying-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows; some 4-pane glazing. Ashlar-coped skews. Coped stacks with yellow clay cans. Graded grey slate.

INTERIOR: access not obtained.

E RANGE: random-rubble with long and short droved sandstone quoins. 2 timber-boarded doors to W (courtyard) elevation. Ashlar-coped skews. Graded grey slate roof.

W RANGE: asbestos-roofed byre extending back from W wing; gabled to N. Shorter gabled byre adjoining to W; W wall rebuilt in brick; simple 3-hole dovecot to N gable; graded grey slate roof. Small corrugated-iron-roofed outbuilding (possibly former stable) adjoining asbestos-roofed byre at right-angles to E, and partially enclosing courtyard; irregular fenestration.

Statement of Special Interest

A good, and relatively unspoilt example of an early-mid 19th century farm. The farm is first shown marked at 'Bourak' on Thomson's map of 1828. It is not on Ainslie's 1821 map, but that is less detailed. It is also shown on 'The Plan Of Langshaw' (circa 1780), although the name of the farm isn't given; the owner was a David Tinney or Finney, and the buildings consisted of one longhouse with a garden. The farm was considerably altered between the publication of the 1st and 2nd edition OS maps. The 1st edition OS map shows a T-shaped building, where the present house is, and a detached byre where the East range is. The 2nd edition map shows the present arrangement. A dotted horsemill on both maps indicates that the E range contained a threshing room. The bipartite windows at the front indicate that the house was remodelled in the 1880s or '90s, and it is likely that at the same time the W range was built, and the E range was joined to the house. It is possible that the W wing, which links the house to the cow byres, and has its own side door, was built as a dairy. It is unusual for the courtyard to be at the rear, rather than the front of the house, and it is possible that the main entrance was to the N before the circa 1890 alterations: photos taken in about 1980 show 2 recently blocked doorways in the N elevation, although there is no sign of any architrave or margin.



PLAN OF LANGSHAW IN Y' PARISH OF DUNLOP (circa 1780), NAS ref RHP1201. Appears on J Thomson's NORTHERN PART OF AYRSHIRE: SOUTHERN PART (1828). 1st and 2nd edition OS maps (1858 and 1897).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BOUROCK WITH ANCILLARY BUILDINGS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/06/2022 11:08