Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

AULTNAGAR LODGE INCLUDING FORMER COACH HOUSE, GATES AND GATEPIERSLB51872

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
26/01/2012
Supplementary Information Updated
29/01/2021
Local Authority
Highland
Planning Authority
Highland
Parish
Creich (Highland)
NGR
NH 58376 98930
Coordinates
258376, 898930

Description

Robert J Macbeth, 1910 for Andrew Carnegie. Large, 5-bay, 2-storey and attic, Arts and Crafts and domestic Tudor-Revival style lodge with rare Liberty interior scheme. Rusticated base course; moulded cill and string courses. Polished ashlar dressings to ground floor bays; harled to first floor with patterned half-timber frames to gables. Over-hanging bracketed eaves with plain timber bargeboards.

SW (GARDEN) ELEVATION: pair of canted bays to centre flanked by advanced gables with stone mullioned tri-partite windows to ground and first floor; single lights to attic. Octagonal bay to SE corner angle with sunroom to ground; glazed french doors with curved astragals; capped octagonal roof. Later flat-roofed single-storey conference room addition to SW re-entrant angle. Later, canted dormer additions to attic level.

NE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: multi-pitch glazed canopy above entrance with later, reception room infill to right of main entrance. Circular windows to ground floor with key-stoned surrounds and astragalled glazing. To right: walls forming enclosed courtyard area with rounded gatepier entrance for vehicles.

Corbelled-out oriel windows to NW and SE (side) elevations. Square-capped observation tower with tri-partite glazing to roof of SE wing.

INTERIOR: entrance hall with hardwood timber panelling; large segmental-arched, leaded and stained glass screen in 'Glasgow School' style with glass-fronted display case (former fishtank) to centre. Panelled hardwood doors with original fixtures.

Library/drawing room fitted throughout by Liberty of London including secretaire, bookshelves, leaded display cupboards, corner units, all with brass and copper handles, locks and light switches. Tailor-made tapestry depicting sylvan scenes covering three walls to ceiling height. Oak-beamed ceiling.

Octagonal sunroom with segmental-arched inglenook fireplace with polished ashlar surround; oak-beamed ceiling with decorative octagonal Liberty ceiling light fitting to centre.

Principal reception rooms to ground floor centre with large timber fire surrounds by Liberty; one with glazed display cupboard over mantle.

Principal staircase: timber with carved timber newel posts and ball finials. Principal first floor bedrooms with decorative brass wall and ceiling lights by Liberty.

Predominantly timber sash and case windows with four-pane glazing to upper sash at S, E and W elevations. Non-traditional replacement windows to attic level and rear (N) elevation. Grey slate. Tall end and ridge stacks with clay cans. Cast iron rainwater goods with decorative hoppers.

FORMER COACH HOUSE/STABLE (Map Ref: NH 58389, 98986): single-story, gabled, U-plan range. Harled with patterned half-timber frames to gables. Coped walls to front with capped gatepiers forming courtyard. Swept-roof louvre to central ridge. Open-plan garage space to right range; left block (formerly stables) converted to residential accommodation.

GATES AND GATEPIERS (Map Ref: NH 58113, 99085): circular-plan gate piers with mushroom caps; pierced timber gates with Moorish arch pattern.

Statement of Special Interest

Aultnagar Lodge is a rare surviving example of Tudor-Revival/Arts and Crafts architecture in the central Highland region and contains a high quality interior decorative scheme by Liberty of London. The fitted library/drawing room may be the only complete surviving early 20th century Liberty interior scheme in Scotland. Occupying an isolated location on high ground, Aultnagar was built for Scottish-born millionaire industrialist and philanthropist, Andrew Carnegie, as a rural retreat 10 miles away from Skibo Castle, his principal residence in Scotland. A hybrid of Scottish and English elements, it combines harl and slate with rusticated base courses and half-timbered gables.

The library/drawing room at Aultnagar is of particular interest, fitted throughout with Liberty furnishings in oak including a large secretaire, bookshelves, leaded display cupboards, corner units, brass and copper handles, locks and light fittings. A tailor-made tapestry covering three walls to ceiling height depicting sylvan scenes adds further interest. Other ground floor reception rooms have timber fireplace surrounds by Liberty while the octagonal sunroom and principal bedrooms have Liberty light fittings. Some of the original furnishings at Aultnagar are now at the Royal Marine Hotel (formely Duncraggie, by Robert Lorimer, 1911 - see separate listing) in Brora.

Arthur Lasenby Liberty (b.1843) built strong relationships with leading designers in the Arts and Crafts and Art Nouveau movements in the 1880s and 90s including C.F.A Voysey, W.R Lethaby and M.H Baillie-Scott creating furniture, wallpapers and glassware for his company. Liberty furnishings evolved considerably between 1880 and 1910. By 1905, Liberty furniture catalogues illustrated pieces with cleaner lines in the style of the 'Glasgow School'. The glazed and leaded screen in the hall at Aultnagar reflects the Glasgow Style.

Architect Robert Macbeth of Inverness was the partner of pre-eminent Highland architect Alexander Ross from 1887 until setting up on his own in 1907. Macbeth and Ross remodelled Skibo Castle for the Carnegie's in 1899.

Dunfermline-born millionaire, Andrew Carnegie (b. 1835 - d. Masachuesetts 1919) amassed much of his fortune in the American steel industry and spent the last 20 years of his life donating large sums of money to worthwhile causes. Focusing primarily on education and scientific research, he helped fund the building of over 2000 public libraries throughout the UK and the USA, many in his native Scotland including those at Dunfermline, Edinburgh Central, Jedburgh, Airdrie and Dundee (see separate listings). Carnegie spent around 3 weeks each year at Aultnagar towards the end of his life. His widow notes in the preface to his posthumously released autobiography that it was at Aultnagar that he wrote most of his memoirs.

The former coach house located close to the E elevation of the Lodge was designed with both stable and coach/motorcar accomodation. The associated Gatehouse with distinctive castellated porch and bay window parapet is located beside the A836. It was built by Andrew Carnegie shortly after Aultnagar Lodge and is understood to also be by R J Macbeth.

References

Bibliography

3rd Edition Ordnance Survey Map (1903-1912 - not evident). Evident on Ordnance Survey 'Popular' Edition (1921-1930). Andrew Carnegie, Autobiography of Andrew Carnegie (1920) Elizabeth Beaton, Sutherland, An Illustrated Architectural Guide (1995) Pp19, 65. Further information courtesy of Stafford Waters - Wylie and Lochhead Research Project.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to AULTNAGAR LODGE INCLUDING FORMER COACH HOUSE, GATES AND GATEPIERS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 23/06/2024 05:38