Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

FALLS OF CLYDE, BONNINGTON POWER STATION WITH TANK AND PIPESLB51727

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
03/03/2011
Local Authority
South Lanarkshire
Planning Authority
South Lanarkshire
Parish
Lanark
NGR
NS 88398 41665
Coordinates
288398, 641665

Description

1925-27. Scheme designed by Sir Edward MacColl with advice from Amenity Committee consisting of the Earl of Home, Sir John Stirling of Maxwell of Pollok and Sir Robert Lorimer, architect; plans and specifications by Messrs Buchan & Partners, engineers; Sir William Arrol & Co. civil engineering contractors; the English Electric Co. hydro-electric plant. Striking strong classical group of 3 white-rendered clearly articulated adjoining blocks comprising: large 2-storey, 7-bay, roughly rectangular-plan, flat-roofed turbine room with round-arched windows to principal floor recessed between pilasters, and small square-headed windows to ground and attic floors; smaller 2-storey, 3-bay, rectangular-plan, flat-roofed switch house block stepped forward at N end of E elevation of turbine room; pitched roofed attendant's house at right angles to turbine house block at S. Regular fenestration to turbine room.

Small-pane glazing to turbine room and switch house block; non-traditional aluminium windows to attendant's house. Reinforced concrete roofs to turbine room and switch house; grey slate roof to house.

INTERIOR: some original early 20th century features still in place including new generators which stand over the original turbines, each by the English Electric Co Ltd. 2 original Francis turbines generating 11,000 KW. Terracotta floor tiles. 1920s shell light shades over some of the dials. Original bank of switch gear preserved in situ on balcony over the new computerised system.

TANK AND PIPES: circular white-rendered concrete surge tank located above Bonnington Pavilion; 2 tall concrete surge shafts slightly down hill. 2 riveted, green steel pipes, 6' 6" in diameter connect the tank to power station.

Statement of Special Interest

Bonnington Power Station is historically of considerable importance as the first large-scale hydro-electric scheme for public power supply in Britain. Hydro-electric schemes had been used previously by the British Aluminium Company for powering factories at Foyers and Kinlochleven in the 1890s and 1900s, and a small plant at Inverness had been operational from about the same time, but hydro- power had never before been used on this scale. The success of the Clyde scheme was to encourage investment in the Tummel scheme of 1930 and Galloway scheme of 1936. The design of the Bonnington and Stonebyres (which is very similar to Bonnington and completed just a year later) arguably influenced the stations in the Tummel and Galloway schemes, particularly at Tummel where Sir Matthew Ochterlony was a member of the Advisory Committee. The design at Tummel bears a striking resemblance to that at Bonnington, for example in the simple white cubic forms of the buildings and the robust classical details.

Bonnington Power Station is also a very significant feature in the landscape just N of the Corra Linn Falls. As the surroundings at Bonnington were recognised to be of exceptional natural beauty, attention was paid to sympathetic design. The turbine hall with its simple classical detailing dominates the composition. It is not clear who was responsible for the design details but elements, for example in the rhythm of the round-headed windows and dividing pilasters are reminiscent of the work by Sir Robert Lorimer in the early 1920s and very likely indicate his hand in the design details. The use of round-headed windows was standard in pre-World War II power stations.

An Act of Parliament was required to sanction the development of Bonnington and Stonebyres stations and the associated works. During 1924 objections were raised to the proposed scheme by the Gourock Rope Company who owned the mills at New Lanark in the 1920s as they felt the works might interfere with the water supply need to operate the mills. However these were overcome and the design went ahead as planned.

(Listed 2011 as part of Hydro Electric Power Thematic Study)

References

Bibliography

Buchan & Partners, Engineers, Bound plans and sections of Lanarkshire hydro-electric power schemes near Bonnington and near Nemphlar and Stonebyres Falls (1923-1924) NAS Reference, RHP 43551. Clyde Valley Electrical Power Co, Harnessing the Falls of Clyde (1926). John Hume, The Industrial Archaeology of Scotland: Lowlands volume 1 (1976). David C Eve, Harnessing the Falls of Clyde: the construction of the Hydro-Electric Scheme. 1924-7. Archive: the Quarterly Journal for British Industrial and Transport History, Issue 14 (1997), pp17-27. Roland Paxton and Jim Shipway: Civil Engineering Heritage of Scotland: Lowlands and Borders (2007), pp228-9.

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to FALLS OF CLYDE, BONNINGTON POWER STATION WITH TANK AND PIPES

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 20/11/2018 23:41