There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: B
- Date Added: 11/02/2011
- Local Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
- Planning Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
- Parish: Carsphairn
National Grid Reference
- NGR: NX 60585 90581
- Coordinates: 260585, 590581
James Williamson with Sir Alexander Gibb consulting engineers; Merz and McLellan, electrical engineers, 1936. Long shallow V-section concrete arch and gravity dam with single control tower to left (N) and elevated roadway to crest on piers over fixed spillway to right (S) ensuite with stepped eaves course to left (N). Concrete parapet to roadway, with some larger piers forming buttress to downstream (E) face. Control tower spanning walkway to left (S) with chamfered upper corners tall narrow round headed opening to base with single rounded headed window above, metal covering to doorway (2009). Small valve-house directly beneath to base (E) of dam in reinforced concrete.
Statement of Special Interest
Kendoon North Dam is an important component of phase II of the highly influential Galloway scheme, providing water storage capacity for Kendoon power station (see separate listing). The dam regulates the flow of the Water of Deugh to create Kendoon Loch by diverting water from the Deugh back over the watershed to the outlet at the South Dam (see separate listing) from where water is conveyed to Kendoon power station (see separate listing). The shallow curved-plan form of the dam is part of a striking Modernist design and is echoed in the curved top to the spillway. The modern appearance of the dam clearly ties it stylistically and functionally to the power station at Kendoon (see separate listing). The design is a clear synthesis between functional and aesthetic concerns and is characteristic of the view of hydroelectricity in this period as a modern and dynamic industry.
The development of the Galloway Hydroelectric Scheme predates the 1943 Hydroelectric (Scotland) Act which formalised the development of Hydroelectricity in Scotland and led to the founding of the North of Scotland Hydroelectric Board. Those developments which predated the 1943 act were developed by individual companies as a response to particular market and topographic conditions. The completion of a number of schemes (including Galloway, Grampian and those associated with Alcan ¿ see separate listings) without a national strategic policy framework is groundbreaking as is the consistency of high quality aesthetic and engineering design across all of the schemes.
The Galloway scheme was influential on the future development of hydropower in Scotland. After initial opposition to the parliamentary act granting powers for the completion of the scheme it was approved with a number of safeguards on the landscape and amenity of the area. This necessitated the high quality design of both power stations and dams which characterises the Galloway scheme. This condition also proved influential during the drafting of the Hydroelectric (Scotland) Act of 1943 where the visual impact of future schemes was a primary concern.
Sir Alexander Gibb and Partners was a pioneering engineering company, responsible for a number of high profile works in Scotland, including the Kincardine Bridge (see separate listing). The company was founded by Alexander Gibb in 1921 and quickly became the UK¿s largest firm of consulting engineers with numerous international clients. Gibb was personally involved in the design and construction of the Galloway scheme, and the pioneering nature of the Galloway development is due, in large part, to his abilities as an engineer. Merz and McLellan were pioneering British electrical engineers and developed a high profile practice, working on a number of power stations across Britain, including Dunstan B, as well as completing hydroelectric work in Italy in the 1980s.
(Listed 2011 as part of Hydroelectric Power Thematic Survey)
Peter Payne, The Hydro: a study of the development of the major hydro-electric schemes undertaken by the North of Scotland Hydro-Electric Board, 1988, p. 25; Emma Wood, The Hydro Boys ,2002, p. 51; Anon The Galloway hydro-electric development, Reprint of papers presented to the Institution of Civil Engineers, 22 February 1938; George Hill, Tunnel and Dam; The Story of the Galloway Hydros, 1984.
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at email@example.com.
There are no images available for this record.