Honeyman and Keppie, 1899-1900. 2-storey, 4-bay, Glasgow Style villa with lower, projecting, semi-circular stair tower to front elevation (S). Tooled, squared and snecked red sandstone with smooth margins. Band course. Overhanging dentilled timber eaves. Later, small, flat-roofed extension to NW.
FURTHER DESCRIPTION: PRINCIPAL ELEVATION (S): asymmetrical. Steps lead to off-centre wide round-arched entrance doorway with raised quoins. 6-panel timber entrance door with sidelights and fanlight and with part-glazed timber inner door with glazed sidelights and some stained glass.
Advanced semi-circular, stair tower to right with 5-light stair-light to upper storey and conical slated roof. Gabled bay with skewputts to far right.
Predominantly 9-pane over plate glass timber sash and case windows. Other fixed windows, some with stained glass. Grey slates. Decorative cast iron rainwater goods. Ridge stacks.
INTERIOR: (seen 2010). Fine interior with cohesive decorative scheme largely extant. Dog-leg staircase with decorative carved timber balusters. Internal part-glazed screen to upper floor with stained glass details. Other fine decorative stained glass with Arts & Crafts type stylised floral motifs. Some decorative plaster strapwork to ceilings. Simple stone fire surrounds. 7-panel timber doors. Simple cornicing.
GATEPIERS: to NW: Pair of square-plan gatepiers with base course and curved caps.
Statement of Special Interest
This is a fine, little altered Glasgow Style villa by a renowned architectural practice. The interior scheme is largely intact and the stained glass detailing is particularly fine. The Glasgow Style often made use of certain Arts and Crafts motifs and Scottish domestic architecture flourished at the end of the 19th century. Houses often demonstrated vernacular features, as seen here in the Scottish Baronial influence of the advanced stair tower. Interiors often incorporated stained glass and natural materials and these influences can be seen in the stone fire surrounds and timber balusters here.
The house was built for Dr Calderwood who was a physician and surgeon. Drawings held in the Hunterian Art Gallery, drawn by a student at the Keppie & Henderson architectural practice in the 1930s depict the front elevation of the house and the interior screen. These are likely to be copies of originals once held by the practice.
John Honeyman and John Keppie worked together in architectural practice from circa 1888-1901. Charles Rennie Mackintosh was taken on as an assistant in 1889 and became a partner in 1901 when Honeyman retired and is thought to have been playing a major part in the design of projects from about 1894. The practice was prolific and their work exists throughout Scotland and includes the restoration of Iona Abbey. The question of whether Mackintosh had involvement in the design of this house has been considered. In the absence of firm documentary evidence it is difficult to be conclusive, but it is certainly possible that he may have worked on this project.