There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Date Added
- Local Authority
- South Ayrshire
- Planning Authority
- South Ayrshire
- NX 29813 84239
- 229813, 584239
James K Hunter, 1898-1901. Mainly 2-storey and attic, asymmetric, crow-stepped Arts and Crafts house with gabled ballroom to S, situated on sloping site in isolated moorland setting. Previous service wing to the NE. White painted harl with sloping cills and red sandstone margins to ballroom. Large, projecting conservatory to W elevation. Central canted bow window to S elevation of ballroom.
FURTHER DESCRIPTION: E entrance elevation with off-centre steps leading to recessed balustrade with timber entrance door in re-entrant angle to right with red sandstone architrave with semi-circular pediment above. Tripartite fanlight with stained glass.
Remains of decorative cast iron loggia (in poor condition) to S and W elevations of ballroom.
Variety of multi-pane, predominantly timber, sash and case windows. Grey slates. Gable stacks. Decorative cast iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: fine Arts and Crafts interior with largely intact features to principal rooms. Three quarter height timber panelling to much of ground floor and stairwell. Timber stair with plain balusters and banister. Some beamed ceilings, including to ballroom. Number of decorative fire surrounds, including one of decorative metal and some tiled. 4 and 6 panel timber doors. Ballroom with minstrels' gallery and initialled stone inglenook fireplace with decorative metal inset.
COURTYARD WALL AND OUTBUILDINGS: adjoining square-plan courtyard to NE with harled and coped wall with ball finials forming S elevation. 2-storey cottage adjoins main house to N, forming W elevation of courtyard. Further single-storey outbuildings to E and N, including piended roofed former game larder.
Statement of Special Interest
This is a good example of a turn of the century Arts and Crafts house built by a distinguished local architect which retains a largely intact decorative scheme to its principal rooms. The interior of the house retains many original Arts and Crafts features, including timber panelling, a number of decorative fire surrounds, and an inglenook fireplace. The then fashionable inclusion of the ballroom in the design is an important part of its Arts and Crafts Heritage. The house has also been designed to relate to its sloping site, garden and exceptionally remote setting. A wing was formerly located to the South of the courtyard.
The Arts and Crafts style was a popular style for both country and urban houses at the end of the 19th century. The houses often demonstrated vernacular features, as seen here in the crowsteps and multi-gabled elevations. There is a Scots Renaissance influence here too. Arts and Crafts interiors often incorporated timber panelling and a number of handmade features such as the fire surrounds which are found at Black Clauchrie.
Black Clauchrie was built as a shooting lodge for Robert Jardine Mein-Austin and his wife Flora, whose initials are inscribed in the fire place in the ballroom, together with the dates 1898-1901.
Within the wider estate, there is also the remains of a walled garden to the North East of the house, with an associated gardener's cottage, laundry and greenhouse, all in a poor state of repair.
James K Hunter (1863-1929) was an Ayrshire architect, who became partner-in-charge of the well-known Ayr practice Morris & Hunter in 1885. When the partnership was dissolved around 1896, Hunter worked independently for a number of years. He designed a number of small country houses in the area, as well as schools, churches and smaller houses.
2nd Edition Ordnance Survey Map, 1907-9. Michael Davis, Castles and Mansions of Ayrshire, 1991 p178. Rob Close, Ayrshire and Arran, An Illustrated Architectural Guide, 1992 p196. Sales particulars information from RCAHMS, ref D11.23 BLA(S). Other information from owner and website, www.largeholidayhomes-blackclauchrie.com (accessed 02-06-09). Dictionary of Scottish Architects, www.scottisharchitects.org.uk (accessed 07-05-09).
About Listed Buildings
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BARRHILL, BLACK CLAUCHRIE HOUSE, INCLUDING COURTYARD WALL AND OUTBUILDINGS
There are no images available for this record.
Printed: 18/06/2018 14:19