Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
South Lanarkshire
Planning Authority
South Lanarkshire
NS 68795 60883
268795, 660883


1848. 3-span, segmental-arched cast-iron viaduct with 4 solid ribs per arch, tied by wrought-iron bracing, and open lattice spandrels. Bull faced red sandstone ashlar piers, with polished ashlar band course, dividing arches. Semicircular-plan cutwaters below stepped, square-plan coped piers (central cope missing upstream). Bull-faced red sandstone ashlar approach walls with 2 deep round-arched recesses upstream to W bank; coped walls above. Later, 3-span steel N-truss girder bridge with open lattice parapet and stugged red sandstone ashlar square-plan dividing piers, abutting original viaduct immediately downstream. Swept, semicircular cutwaters with polished ashlar band course; corniced piers with tall, stepped and coped block rising above parapet to each. Red sandstone ashlar approach walls with band course below plain, coped parapet.

Statement of Special Interest

Built by the Caledonian Railway Company to take the line from Uddingston to Glasgow. Opened in 1848.



Appears on 2nd edition OS map, 1899; J Hume THE INDUSTRIAL ARCHAEOLOGY OF SCOTLAND (1976) p158; D Jamieson, UDDINGSTON IN OLD PICTURE POSTCARDS (1984) photograph number 62.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to UDDINGSTON, UDDINGSTON VIADUCT

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 06/06/2020 09:50