Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

BALMORAL CASTLE, WAR MEMORIALLB51498

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Group Category Details
100000020
Date Added
12/03/2010
Local Authority
Aberdeenshire
Planning Authority
Aberdeenshire
Parish
Crathie And Braemar
National Park
Cairngorms
NGR
NO 26155 94886
Coordinates
326155, 794886

Description

Designed by Dr William Kelly, sculpted by Sir James Taggart, 1922. Panelled Inver granite slab-shaft with carved cross adorned with Celtic braid chip-carving and flanked by sword, dated, AD 1914-1919. Free-standing, horizontal pedestal table stretched in front on granite base, inscribed with names of dead and swastikas initialled GR on return to right. Base inscribed by Charles Macdonald Ltd of Aberdeen, with further names after 2nd World War, dated AD 1939-1945.

Statement of Special Interest

B Group with Bridge Lodge, Entrance Gates, Gate Lodge and Gatepiers, Quadrant Walls and Lamp Standards.

Sited opposite Bridge Lodge and by Crathie Bridge. Explanatory board erected to right explains that His Majesty George V unveiled the Memorial on 3rd September 1922, dedicated to the memory of the men of the estates who gave their lives in the Great War. The names on the base to the horizontal pedestal are those of the men of Crathie who died in the 2nd World War. The swastika was a symbol of widespread ancient usage associated with the sun and its name comes from Sanskrit denoting well-being, fortune and luck. The symbol appeared on the bindings and title pages of many of Rudyard Kipling's works. The symbol had no sinister associations at the time the Memorial was designed. William Kelly was a former partner of William Smith in the later years of his practice. He was active in practice between 1886 and 1938 and provided war memorial designs for Aberdeen's Grammar School, King's College Chapel, and others in Birse, Dyce and Banff.

References

Bibliography

The Royal Archives PP/Balmoral New Series/113, Balmoral/Box 145, GV/GVD, BAL/Box 58. Walker, Dictionary of Scottish Architects.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BALMORAL CASTLE, WAR MEMORIAL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 05/07/2020 07:26