Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

BALMORAL CASTLE, IRON BALLROOM, JOINER'S WORKSHOPLB51479

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Group Category Details
100000019
Date Added
12/03/2010
Local Authority
Aberdeenshire
Planning Authority
Aberdeenshire
Parish
Crathie And Braemar
National Park
Cairngorms
NGR
NO 25650 95101
Coordinates
325650, 795101

Description

Edward T Bellhouse and Company, produced by Eagle Foundry, Manchester, 1851. No 1 prefabricated warehouse pattern, built to serve as ballroom, now carpenters workshop. Corrugated iron sheets on concrete base and in framework of panelled, cast-iron pilasters with stylised capitals supporting cavetto corniced eaves gutter. Entrance in gabled end, now with sliding machinery door, with small-pane strip fanlight above. 7-bay sides, 4 each side windowed with flush, 16-pane timber casement windows; 2 modern, fixed-pane, horizontal windows inserted to left return elevation. Rear gable end, blank. Scalloped barge boards and finials. Corrugated roof with flush rooflights and decorative brattishing; gabled ventilator to mid ridge with brattishing.

Interior: lined with timber boarding; coombed roof, embrasured to rooflights.

Statement of Special Interest

A group with Venison Larder, Ice House, Stables, Pony Stables, The Surgery and Game Larders.

This is the earliest remaining corrugated iron building in Scotland and possibly in Britain and it retains much of its original decorative design and footprint. Prince Albert had seen Bellhouse's designs at the Great Exhibition and ordered one to serve as a temporary ballroom at Balmoral; the warehouses were intended to house emigrants moving to Canada or Australia as a result of the Highland clearances. It was erected in three weeks and first used for the gillies' ball, 1st October 1851. It remained in use until 1856 and in 1882 was resited to its present position near the stables and game larders, when the old offices were demolished. In the autumn of 1853 the ballroom also served as a studio for Carl Haag. Prince Albert's use of the early prefabricated warehouse is thought to have been highly influential in popularizing and disseminating the practice.

There has been some alteration to the building, including the addition of sliding doors to one gable, but the original footprint and much of the original decorative design remains.

References

Bibliography

Delia Millar Queen Victoria's Life in the Scottish Highlands (1985), p59, pp85-9. The Royal Archives VIC/Add Q /51. Adam Mornement & Simon Holloway, Corrugated Iron: building on the frontier, 2007 pf35. N Thomson & P Banfill, 'Corrugated-Iron Buildings: An Endangered Resource within the Built Heritage', Journal of Architectural Conservation No 1 March 2005 pf71.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BALMORAL CASTLE, IRON BALLROOM, JOINER'S WORKSHOP

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/06/2019 16:40