Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

BALMORAL CASTLE, CHAMOIS DEER STATUE AND FOUNTAIN ON WESTERN PARTERRELB51464

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Group Category Details
100000019
Date Added
12/03/2010
Local Authority
Aberdeenshire
Planning Authority
Aberdeenshire
Parish
Crathie And Braemar
National Park
Cairngorms
NGR
NO 25403 95034
Coordinates
325403, 795034

Description

Fountain basin, circa 1855; statue, M Geiss, Berlin, late 19th century, painted 1929, refurbished by Charles Henshaw 1986. Carved bronze statue of chamois deer, painted and life-like, placed in recessed, pink granite, circular basin on parterre to W of Castle. Deer standing on rocky outcrop on pink granite cubic pedestal with cast-iron lion mask spouts to each face.

Statement of Special Interest

A Group with Balmoral Castle, Putto Fountain on Eastern Parterre, Roe Deer Statue, Shell Drinking Fountain in Sunken Garden and the Statue of Florentine Boar.

Partner deer by Geiss stands in recess by eastern parterre. In 1859 a bronze chamois was blown over in a gale and needed to be sent to London for repair. The Builder describes two fountains in course of construction with pipes to carry water 60' high by means of a steam engine; this fountain would not be capable of such a feat but may be on the site of that quoted. The Royal Archive notes that in June 1929 stags, boar, chamois and roe deer sited to the west of the Castle were painted.

References

Bibliography

Inventory of Gardens and Designed Landscapes, vol 3, p145. The Builder Vol xi, No 559, October 22 1853, p651. Royal Archive PP/Balmoral/262, 271.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BALMORAL CASTLE, CHAMOIS DEER STATUE AND FOUNTAIN ON WESTERN PARTERRE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 02/12/2022 14:16