Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Supplementary Information Updated
Local Authority
South Lanarkshire
Planning Authority
South Lanarkshire
NS 70444 58591
270444, 658591


Circa 1899. Square-plan arcaded moulded and cast Italianate monument, raised on polished granite plinth, to the poetess Joanna Baillie, sited to SE of Bothwell Parish Church. Red Doultonware with large, framed mosaic panels to each elevation. Free-standing barleysugar Corinthian column at each angle supporting round arch, standing on advanced square plinths with foliate panels; foliate rectangular panels, slightly recessed, between; cornice between plinth and column. Foliate spandrels; floral and foliate frieze below cornice. Ogee roof with Doultonware blocked tiles and seated cherub at each angle; tall foliate finial. PANELS: roundel with inscription and foliate border below to each elevation depicting portrait of Joanna Baillie, Bothwell Castle, 2 cherubs and fruit trees.

Statement of Special Interest

Interest in terracotta peaked in 1886 and a 'rash of terracotta' broke out along high streets and in public places, reflecting a new mood of openness in architectural design, an enthusiasm for new materials and a great sense of civic pride. Producers of terracotta in Scotland numbered only one, being Ferguson, Miller & Co, Heathfield, Strathclyde who produced ?large vases and fountains in the 1850s?. It seems more likely that the Baillie monument was ordered from Doulton & Co, London (or from their works in Rowley Regis, opened in 1889) and assembled on site.

Joanna Baillie was born in the manse behind the church (see separate list description) on 11th September 1762 and was the daughter of the minister of St. Brides; she was later to become a friend of Sir Walter Scott. Her father having died in 1776, Joanna and the family moved to London; Joanna spent the rest of her life in Hampstead where she is buried. Here she was to gain notoriety as a poet and a playwright, often writing in her native lowland Scots dialect, her verse "Family Legend" being one of her best known works. The mosaic panels are Venetian, and were manufactured by the Murano Glass Company. The depiction of Joanna is copied from a painting by Masquerier. Likewise, the image of Bothwell Castle with the Clyde at its base is taken from the painting by Horatio McCulloch.

The cherubs at each corner of the monument represent music, poetry, literature and drama. Other allegorical references include the carved capitals, the lily representing Joanna's purity, the thistle for her nationality, the rose for her years spent in England and the acorn for her strength of character. In 1898 James Donald demolished some uninspiring buildings which stood near the main entrance of St Brides and refaced the immediate entrance area of the church. He had the lodge built for the church officer (see separate list description), bought and erected the monument to Joanna Baillie, which was unveiled in 1899, and planted the area with trees and shrubs, greatly enhancing the church environs. Joanna Baillie died on February 23rd, 1851 in Hampstead, but the extent to which she was respected in her native Bothwell is demonstrated by this lavish and unusual amalgam Doultonware sculpture and craftwork. Compare with the elaborate terracotta fountain by A E Pearce for Doulton's 1888 Glasgow Empire Exhibition on Glasgow Green.



G Henderson and J J Waddell, BY BOTHWELL BANKS (1904) p77-90 (chapter on Joanna Baillie); D Burns, A Reid and I Walker (ed), HAMILTON DISTRICT, A HISTORY (1995) p97; WALKS AROUND BOTHWELL (c1974) p7-9; I Macleod & M Gilroy, DISCOVERING THE RIVER CLYDE (1991) p110; M Stratton, THE TERRACOTTA REVIVAL (1993), pp78-90.

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing and if a number or name is missing from a listing address it may still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing can also cover structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority advises on the need for listed building consent and they also decide what a listing covers. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BOTHWELL, BOTHWELL PARISH CHURCH, JOANNA BAILLIE MONUMENT

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/03/2019 01:16