There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: B
- Group Category Details: A
- (see NOTES)
- Date Added: 15/05/2009
- Local Authority: Stirling
- Planning Authority: Stirling
- Parish: Logie (Stirling)
National Grid Reference
- NGR: NS 81082 96885
- Coordinates: 281082, 696885
Morris and Steedman, 1966-67. Single storey Modernist houses composed of offset pair of square-plan dwellings with oversailing flat roofs; set in picturesque woodland setting. Painted render with sandstone ashlar copes. Deep base course stepped to rear; continuous horizontal arrangement of windows wrapping around corners to E and W elevations. Recessed main doorways to N with overhanging roofs.
Predominantly plate glass in timber framed windows; some later French windows to SE elevation. Deep timber platform roof; capped aluminium flue and covered water tanks to centre.
INTERIOR: simple Modernist interior characterised by large areas of glazing and high ceilings. Main rooms opening off a central lobby and corridor lined with multiple doors, leading to large open plan lounge and dining area. Kitchen to left of entrance with further door into dining room. Plain floor to ceiling architraved doorcases and timber doors throughout. Some original floor to ceiling built in cupboards in bedrooms.
Statement of Special Interest
A-Group with the Principal's House, 2, 3 and 4, 5 Airthrey Castle Yard. An important example of post-War Modernist private houses by one of Scotland's most important practices of this period, who were leaders in avant-garde house design. The houses demonstrate an innovative linear plan which relates sensitively to its natural setting in a former walled policy of Airthrey Castle and set against a dramatic backdrop of crags and trees. These semi detached staff houses form an important group of bespoke Modernist houses with 2 other pairs of staff houses and the Principal's house (see separate listings). The original character and design is not significantly altered by later minor alteration. These houses demonstrate an interesting juxtaposition of plan form and their interior treatment is simple yet uses high quality materials and finishes.
The intervisibility of space which is a key component of the open-plan nature of the suite of houses is also a common theme within the work of Morris and Steedman. Particularly successful is how the space is conceived carefully to reveal both internal and external vistas.
The houses have a distinctive rectilinear form, which is emphasised by the oversailing roofs. The overtly Modernist form in its long low profile responds sensitively to the site, in woodland and set against a dramatic craggy backdrop, a device common throughout the work of Morris and Steedman.
The practice of Morris and Steedman is recognised as a pioneer of modern architecture in Scotland. James Shepherd Morris (1931-2006) and Robert Russell Steedman (b.1929) both graduated in architecture from Edinburgh School of Art in 1955 before pursuing further studies in landscape architecture at the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia where they studied under Philip Johnson. This understanding of landscape and architecture is akin to the Japanese tradition and can be seen in their sensitive reaction to site in their designs. Relevant comparisons can be made to their houses at Ravelston Dykes, Edinburgh; Avisfield, Edinburgh; Kevock Road, Lasswade. Their design philosophy was also much influenced by the American work of Johnson and the ideals of Ludwig Mies Van der Rohe, Marcel Breuer and Richard Neutra. They returned to Edinburgh to establish their architectural practice in 1957. Although they designed a number of high profile public buildings the practice was best known for its special contribution to domestic architecture during the 1950s, 60s and 70s usually working closely with enlightened clients.
J Gifford, F Walker, The Buildings of Scotland: Stirling and Central Scotland, (2002) p. 790; P Willis, A New Architecture in Scotland (1977).
Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for the designation of buildings, monuments, gardens and designed landscapes and historic battlefields. We also advise Scottish Ministers on the designation of historic marine protected areas.
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at email@example.com.
There are no images available for this record.
There is no map available for this record.