There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Group Category Details: A
- (see NOTES)
- Date Added: 15/05/2009
- Local Authority: Stirling
- Planning Authority: Stirling
- Parish: Logie (Stirling)
National Grid Reference
- NGR: NS 81137 96808
- Coordinates: 281137, 696808
Morris and Steedman 1966-67, incorporating earlier boundary walls. Single storey, arrowhead-plan, Modernist house with oversailing flat roofs and central raised clerestory. Set on prominent precipice on ground falling steeply to SW in former walled policy of Airthrey Castle (see separate listing). Painted render, coursed random rubble base course, deeply set to rear. Predominantly rendered N and E elevations; stepped N elevation with walls enclosing deeply recessed doorways to right (W) with rectangular sidelights and timber louvers; open carport to far left (E). Small advanced perpendicular rendered fins to E elevation with tall narrow windows to left (S) of each fin. Continuous runs of horizontal windows to S and W elevations wrapping around corners.
Predominantly large pane plate glass in rectangular timber casement windows; some fixed pane glazing to E elevation and clerestory. Deep timber platform roof; capped aluminium flue and felt covered water tanks to centre.
INTERIOR: simple Modern Movement interior with predominantly open-plan public rooms; private rooms accessed off single service corridor. Interior characterised by large areas of glazing and high ceilings. Open-plan lounge to apex of plan with built in cupboards under windows and wide rectangular stone hearth. Doors full height floor to ceiling with plain timber frames. Some original floor to ceiling built-in cupboards in bedrooms.
Statement of Special Interest
A-group with Nuffield Staff Houses at Nos. 2 -7 Airthrey Castle Yard (see separate listings). An outstanding example of a post-War Modernist private house by one of Scotland's most important practices of this period who were leaders in avant-garde house design. The house demonstrates an innovative linear plan which relates sensitively to its natural setting in a former walled policy of Airthrey Castle (see separate listing). The Principal's house is the key building in an outstanding grouping of bespoke modernist houses which includes the staff houses. The original character and design is not significantly altered by later minor alteration. Its interior treatment is simple yet refined providing a suite of entertainment spaces (as specified by the first principal, Tom Cottrell) and uses high quality materials and finishes throughout.
The intervisibility of the main spaces is a key component of the open-plan nature of the group of houses designed for Airthrey Castle Yard. This treatment of interior spaces is also a common theme within the work of Morris and Steedman and works in tandem with skilled control of the flow of public and private spaces. Particularly successful is how the space is conceived carefully to reveal both internal and external vistas.
The house has a distinctive rectilinear form, which is emphasised by the large oversailing roof appearing to float above several runs of continuous horizontal windows to the rear (SW) whilst the smoothness of the walls to the front (NE) also creates the same effect. The overtly Modernist form in its long low profile responds sensitively to the site in woodland and set against a dramatic craggy backdrop, a device common throughout the work of Morris and Steedman. This is further emphasised by the stepping of the building into the slope and the incorporation of the walls of the former walled policy. The relatively closed entrance elevation with timber louvers covering the doors sidelights contrasts markedly to the predominantly glazed aspect of the garden/campus elevation, and is another common feature in their work.
The practice of Morris and Steedman is recognised as a pioneer of modern architecture in Scotland. James Shepherd Morris (1931-2006) and Robert Russell Steedman (b.1929) both graduated in architecture from Edinburgh School of Art in 1955 before pursuing further studies in landscape architecture at the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia where they studied under Philip Johnson. This understanding of landscape and architecture is akin to the Japanese tradition and can be seen in their sensitive reaction to site in their designs. Relevant comparisons can be made to their houses at Ravelston Dykes; Avisfield, Edinburgh; Kevock Road, Lasswade. Their design philosophy was also much influenced by the American work of Johnson and the ideals of Ludwig Mies Van der Rohe, Marcel Breuer and Richard Neutra. They returned to Edinburgh to establish their architectural practice in 1957. Although they designed a number of high profile public buildings the practice was best known for its special contribution to domestic architecture during the 1950s, 60s and 70s usually working closely with enlightened clients.
Tom Cottrell was the first Principal of the University of Stirling. He had trained as a scientist, although coming from an artistic background. He strongly believed that art should be part of the everyday experience at the University and as well as putting the emphasis on collecting, he was also a keen proponent of high quality design, and was influential on the design process for the Principal's and staff houses.
J Gifford, F Walker, The Buildings of Scotland: Stirling and Central Scotland, (2002) p. 790; RCAHMS, Morris and Steedman, Principal's House, Stirling University: [description and photographs with plan] (2001); P Willis, A New Architecture in Scotland (1977).
Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for the designation of buildings, monuments, gardens and designed landscapes and historic battlefields. We also advise Scottish Ministers on the designation of historic marine protected areas.
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are no images available for this record.
There is no map available for this record.