Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

175 AND 177 GALASHIELS ROAD (FORMER SCHOOL) INCLUDING 179 GALASHIELS ROAD (FORMER SCHOOLMASTER'S HOUSE) AND BOUNDARY WALLSLB51299

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
17/03/2009
Local Authority
Scottish Borders
Planning Authority
Scottish Borders
Parish
Stow
NGR
NT 45845 44969
Coordinates
345845, 644969

Description

1878. Near symmetrical, single-storey, U-plan former school with advanced gable-ends to outer bays situated on raised terraced ground above Galashiels Road; detached former schoolmaster's house to SE. Squared and snecked whinstone rubble with buff sandstone dressings. Raised cills. Separate boys and girls entrance outshots; timber bargeboarding to over-hanging eaves; tall pyramidal-capped roof ventilators.

FURTHER DESCRIPTION: PRINCIPAL (W) ELEVATION: 4 bays with advanced gables to outer bays. Lower gabled girls and boys entrance porches advanced from re-entrant angles with shouldered wallhead stack to centre projecting through overhanging eaves and flanked by gableted bipartite windows breaking eaves. Timber doors with cast-iron hinges with forestair and turned cast-iron railings. Low, flat-roof outshots to outer bays.

SCHOOLMASTER'S HOUSE: 2-storey, 3-bay, L-plan with advanced gable to left. Timber door with roll-moulded margin to centre; tri-partite stone-mullioned window to right with dormer window breaking eaves above. Interior: timber doors; simple plaster cornicing; 4 of original 6 servants bells; flagsone floor to the former laundry room.

Both buildings: grey slate. Multi-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Coped, end and ridge stacks with octagonal clay cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

Statement of Special Interest

This former school building is a well-detailed and attractively composed example of its type retaining its individual boys and girls entrances, timber bargeboarding, over-hanging eaves and elegant pyramidal-roofed ventilators. It follows the Victorian model of school building of the period, built soon after the Education Act of 1872 which made education compulsory for all children aged 5 to 13. Prominently located on terraced ground above the Galashiels Road (A7) both school and master's house provide valuable evidence of the civic and educational development of the area and make a significant and positive contribution to the streetscape. The former masters house forms an integral and unified part of the overall design.

The school originally consisted of four classrooms running the length of the building. An infant room was at the N end and headmaster's room to the S end. The two large middle classrooms were divided by a moveable partition that could be adjusted to make one large room. This space was latterly used as an assembly hall with gymnasium bars. The small former staff room is also at the N end of the building, down a small flight of steps. The projecting entrance porches for boys and girls each had a small cloakroom off, containing 2 wash basins. In 1958 a number of alterations and flat-roofed additions were made, primarily to the rear of the building.

References

Bibliography

Kitty Cruft, John Dunbar and Richard Fawcett, The Buildings of Scotland: Borders (2006), p709. John Drummond interview with former Stow Schoolmaster's wife, Scottish Borders Council Memorybank www.memorybank.org.uk (accessed 06.06.08). Further information courtesy of owner.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 175 AND 177 GALASHIELS ROAD (FORMER SCHOOL) INCLUDING 179 GALASHIELS ROAD (FORMER SCHOOLMASTER'S HOUSE) AND BOUNDARY WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 16/01/2021 00:14