Circa 1880, renovated circa 1947. 2-storey, 3-bay, L-plan house with advanced gable to central bay containing small round-arched window at apex, plain bargeboards and later staircase in re-entrant angle to rear. Roughly squared coursed sandstone with ashlar dressings; painted rough-cast to rear. Base course; eaves course; raised quoin-strips corbelled out at eaves; regular fenestration to front with raised margins and projecting cills; stone-mullioned bipartites at ground. Lower 2-bay wing extending to rear; single storey out house abutting at right-angles.
INTERIOR: modernised in 1947. Some window shutters and cornicing survive.
Predominantly replacement 4-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Corniced stacks with tall clay cans. Grey slate roof.
Statement of Special Interest
A-Group with Mugdock and Craigmaddie Reservoirs, Barrachan, Mugdock Cottage and North Lodge (also known as Craigmaddie Lodge).
A good late 19th century house located on high ground on the E shore of Mugdock reservoir. The house has historic importance as part of the Glasgow Corporation Waterworks (see below) and makes a positive contribution
to the Conservation Area around these important reservoirs.
Mugdock reservoir was opened in 1860 as part of the first phase of the Glasgow Corporation Water Works that brought water down from Loch Katrine. Craigmaddie reservoir, which is immediately adjacent (though entirely separate) from Mugdock, was opened in 1897 as part of the duplication scheme. By the 1870s the area around Mugdock reservoir had been landscaped for use as a public park, reflecting the pride the Water Board and general public took in this internationally-renowned engineering achievement. Within this area a number of residences were built to house the numerous employees who were responsible for smooth-running of the system and maintenance of the grounds. This house is flatted and contains two dwellings (one per floor). The staircase extension is first shown on the 3rd edition (1920s) OS, so the house was presumably originally built as one dwelling.
Glasgow's Lord Provost, Robert Stewart (1810-66) was the driving force behind the implementation of a municipally-owned water scheme to provide clean water to Glasgow's rapidly increasing population. Loch Katrine was identified as a suitable supply and after some objections from various parties, an Act of Parliament authorising the scheme was passed in 1855. The scheme was built in two main phases following this Act and another of
1885. The 1855 scheme was opened by Queen Victoria in 1859 and was fully operational by 1860.
The Loch Katrine Water Works was admired internationally as an engineering marvel when it was opened in 1860. It was one of the most ambitious civil engineering schemes to have been undertaken in Europe since Antiquity, employing the most advanced surveying and construction techniques available, including the use of machine moulding and vertical casting technologies to produce the cast-iron pipes. The scheme represents the golden age of municipal activity in Scotland and not only provided Glasgow with fresh drinking water, thereby paving the way for a significant increase in hygiene and living standards, but also a source of hydraulic power that was indispensable to the growth of Glasgow's industry as a cheap and clean means of lifting and moving heavy plant in docks, shipyards and warehouses.
Listed as part of the thematic review of Glasgow's water supply system (2008).