Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Scottish Borders
Planning Authority
Scottish Borders
NT 49995 15018
349995, 615018


Kathleen Anne Veitch, 1936. 2-storey, butterfly-plan, south-facing, piend-roofed villa with slate-capped, battered buttresses, deep overhanging bell-cast roof, circular stair tower to entrance (N) elevation, and single-storey and attic, former garage wing to E. White-painted brick, with polished yellow sandstone ashlar margin to principal door, and slate cills. Eaves course. Channelled detailing to windows at 1st floor of principal elevation and to stair tower.

FURTHER DESCRIPTION: Principal (S) elevation: buttresses flanking segmental-arched opening at ground floor to right of centre, with terracotta floor tiles to lobby and deeply recessed door; single window above; 2 broad windows to left and 1 to right at ground floor; 4 windows to left and 3 to right at 1st floor; former garage wing to outer right. Irregular fenestration to entrance (N) elevation; timber-boarded principal door in moulded stone architrave to right side of central circular stair tower with 3 staged windows following course of stair; former garage wing to outer left. Side (W) elevation with single window at ground floor.

Predominantly multi-pane glazing in replacement metal-framed windows; original Crittal windows to stair tower. Grey slate roof. Ashlar-coped, painted brick stack with circular terracotta cans (see NOTES). Cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: Terracotta tiles to window ledges. Some herringbone-pattern parquet, and some Marbolith skirting (see NOTES). Broad, polished oak handrail to curved enclosing wall of stair, continuing down to base at ground and along gallery at 1st floor. Oak veneer doors with original Art Deco brass door furniture. Plain cast-iron radiators. Fitted cupboards with original door furniture to some bedrooms at 1st floor.

Statement of Special Interest

A well-planned 1930s house combining elements of Arts & Crafts and Moderne design, situated in the residential Wilton area of Hawick and unique in the vicinity for its choice of materials and style.

The overall horizontal emphasis and streamlined nature of the design, and the white-painted finish, are typical of the Moderne style of the period, whilst the battered buttresses and swept roof carry echoes of Arts & Crafts architecture of the late 19th and early 20th century. The plan makes full use of daylight by locating an access corridor to the north (originally on both floors, although the ground floor has latterly been altered to an open plan), so that all the rooms could have windows overlooking the south-facing, sloping garden.

Kathleen Anne Veitch (1908-68) is among the earliest women to have trained in the field of architecture. She was admitted an Associate of the Royal Institute of British Architects in 1930 and subsequently travelled in Spain on the Owen Jones Scholarship before working in London for a time. She is understood to have been the daughter of the original owners of Summerfield, the villa to the north of Little Salt Hall, and to have been gifted part of the original grounds of Summerfield to built Little Salt Hall for herself. There is rumoured to be an identical house to Little Salt Hall in the Bemersyde area, although this has not been traced. The only other work known to have been carried out by Veitch is the restoration of the Church of Our Lady and St Joseph, Selkirk, begun in 1958. She was still working on this when she died in 1968, reputedly murdered in Berwick.

Externally the house appears to be essentially unaltered, with the exception of the removal of a stack towards its west end, the replacement of most windows, and some changes to the openings of the former garage during its conversion into an extension of the living accommodation. The interior has been significantly altered at ground-floor level, but retains some original parquet (partially repositioned), some Marbolith skirting (the Marbolith flooring having been removed after deterioration), and the original bakelite bell box; other bakelite fittings have been reintroduced by the current (2008) owners during renovation. The interior of the upper storey remains largely unaltered.

The house is sometimes known simply as 'Salt Hall', but is formally called 'Little Salt Hall' to differentiate it from the original Salthall, a house that stood nearby until the early 20th century (appearing on the 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey map (1897) but gone by the time of the 3rd Edition (1917

, to which salt was brought from Prestonpans. The earlier building was little more than a crofter's barn, and as such was in fact far smaller than Little Salt Hall.



Shown on 1938 revisions to 3rd Edition Ordnance Survey map (1917). Douglas Scott, A Hawick Word Book, draft version, (26 February 2008), p652. Dictionary of Scottish Architects ( [accessed 17 June 2008]. Plans held at house and information courtesy of owners (2008).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to ROSALEE BRAE, LITTLE SALT HALL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 02/04/2023 07:43