Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NT 26953 74142
326953, 674142


Early to mid 19th century. Rare survival of former brewery buildings comprising substantial 5-storey, 9-bay, M-gable malthouse with former kiln adjoining to S with pyramidal-roof and tall timber ventilator situated within yard site at Croft-An-Righ.

FURTHER DESCRIPTION: former Malthouse section: squared and snecked rubble with ashlar dressings including in-and-out quoins. Some decorative cast-iron circular ties between floors at E and W elevations. Former Kiln section: Rubble with tooled cills to openings at upper level. Attached W section rises a storey higher than square-plan kiln with sharply angled SE corner. 2 later, slated timber porches to S elevation; pitched roof to left, lean-to roof to right.

Predominantly boarded timber casement openings with fixed pane upper lights, some with timber shutters. Grey slate. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: refurbished for use as workshops. Some cast-iron supporting columns with winged capitals.

Statement of Special Interest

This former St Anne's Brewery building with its M-pitched malt-house and kiln is a good mid 19th century example of its type. The tall pyramidal ventilator has been reconstructed and adds much interest to the complex's roofscape. It is one of the few remaining examples of its type within this part of the City which was formerly closely associated with brewing. As such, it is an important reminder of the area's industrial past. Beer was an important drink for many of Edinburgh's residents in the 19th century when drinking water was of variable quality.

This area behind the palace of Holyroodhouse, has a long and rich brewing history. Archibald Campbell Younger, son of a Leith brewer, acquired Croft-an-Righ Brewery, Holyrood, in 1786. At that time the area also housed a distillery owned by Thomas Miller. A new operator ran the distillery in 1846 but it was closed again in 1852. Around this time, No 13 Croft-An-Righ was constructed as part of the sizable St. Ann's Brewery which was predominantly situated on the W side of Croft-An-Righ. The brewers Steel & Coulson purchased Croft-an-Righ Brewery in 1874, specialising in pale and mild ales. They ceased brewing in 1960. Croft-an-Righ, or the King's Croft, is called 'Croft Angry' on John Wood's map of 1820. The buildings do not appear on the Wood map but are shown as part of St Ann's Brewery (owned by Robert Younger) on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map of 1858 (with slightly larger foorprint extending to the E).



John Wood's Map of 1820. 1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map (1858). Ian Donnachie, A History of the Brewing Industry in Scotland (1979) p176, 241.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 13 CROFT-AN-RIGH, ST ANNE'S YARD (FORMER BREWERY BUILDINGS)

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 23/05/2019 21:49