There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: C
- Date Added: 16/09/2008
- Local Authority: South Lanarkshire
- Planning Authority: South Lanarkshire
- Parish: Cambuslang
National Grid Reference
- NGR: NS 64381 60485
- Coordinates: 264381, 660485
John Fairweather, 1929. 4-storey, 7-bay, symmetrical, former cinema converted to bingo hall probably early 1960s, with monumental Classical street elevation and gabled auditorium to rear. Red brick with cream-painted render to street. Some windows with raised moulded architraves, some raised cills. Blocking course to outer bays.
N (STREET) ELEVATION: slightly advanced central 5-bay section with advanced outer bays; bays divided by giant modified Doric pilasters rising through 1st and 2nd storeys. Moulded architrave, decorative frieze interspersed with small horizontal windows, cornice and deep blocking course. Shallow steps lead to central recessed entrance portico with square-plan columns dividing 3 pairs of recessed timber and glass swing doors with rectangular fanlights above. Flanking shops each with entrance door and plate glass window.
Predominantly 4-pane metal casement and fixed windows. Small, diamond-pane fixed windows to upper storey. Flat roof to front section, pitched roof to auditorium to rear.
Statement of Special Interest
Constructed in 1929, the former Savoy Cinema is a good example of the work of John Fairweather, one of Scotland's foremost cinema architects. Forming an important part of Cambuslang's streetscape it is designed in Fairweather's characteristic Classical style. The street elevation appears largely unaltered and the Cinema Theatre Association website suggests that the interior remains relatively intact. Once common across the country, good examples of Scotland's cinema architecture are becoming increasingly rare. The dramatic street elevation here with its giant pilasters would have been intended to act as a form of advertisement in its own right.
Built for a local company it is likely that it originally had a dual-purpose and was provided with theatre facilities. The cinema became a Bingo Hall probably in the early 1960s, when the name changed to the 'Vogue'. It has reverted to its original name of Savoy.
John Fairweather (1867-1942) was born in Glasgow and specialised in designing cinemas in Scotland. He was the house architect for the Green family, although this cinema was not part of the Green chain. He designed Green's Playhouses for Glasgow (1925-9; demolished 1985; the largest cinema in Europe at the time), Dundee (1934-6; only the tower remains after a fire in 1995; see separate listing), Ayr (1930; see separate listing) and Wishaw (1940; see separate listing). All four of these super-cinemas contained an elaborate Corinthian-columned interior.
Currently in use as a Bingo Hall (2008).
Listed as part of the Cinemas Thematic Study 2007/08.
Ordnance Survey Map, 1934-46. E Williamson, A Riches, M Higgs, The Buildings of Scotland, Glasgow, 1990, p502. Other information courtesy of Cinema Theatre Association (2007). Dictionary of Scottish Architects at www.scottisharchitects.org.uk (accessed 26-06-08).
Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for the designation of buildings, monuments, gardens and designed landscapes and historic battlefields. We also advise Scottish Ministers on the designation of historic marine protected areas.
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at email@example.com.
There are no images available for this record.
There is no map available for this record.