Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

46A, 48 AND 48A BANNATYNE STREET, LANARK BINGO, FORMER REGAL CINEMA AND SHOPSLB51103

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
27/05/2008
Local Authority
South Lanarkshire
Planning Authority
South Lanarkshire
Burgh
Lanark
NGR
NS 88534 43608
Coordinates
288534, 643608

Description

Lennox D Paterson, 1936. 2-storey, 3-bay, symmetrical, horizontally styled L-plan, Art Deco former cinema and integral shops with horizontal overhanging canopy, large first floor windows and taller pilasters to side. Rendered brickwork. Open terrazzo foyer steps flanked by symmetrical shopfronts leading to inner entrance; travertine marble bases with metal framed plate glass windows; frosted and reeded glass panels to clerestory.

INTERIOR: cream terrazzo floor to hall with coloured geometric detailing, central steps to upper stalls foyer with Deco style chrome handrails. Upper foyer with large hexagonal light fitting. Main auditorium with wide framed proscenium arch, horizontal lighting troughs to sides with curved ends. 2 large Deco ceiling light fittings with integral chevron detailed ventilator grilles. Back lit Deco clock. Velvet folding cinema seats with fan detailed cast-iron ends to upper circle. 2 original Peerless Magnarc film projectors to the projection room.

Vertical pattern margined metal-framed glazing to upper floor windows.

Statement of Special Interest

The Former Regal Cinema is a good example of a provincial Art Deco cinema with a characterful horizontal geometric façade and some fine period detailing surviving to the interior. Once common in Scotland's towns these are becoming increasingly rare. The entrance elevation makes a strong contribution to the streetscape and its pair of integrated shopfronts flanking the main entrance, unusually, survive predominantly in their original condition. It is prominently sited and forms an important part of the streetscape.

Lennox D Paterson (1902-1987) studied at the Glasgow School of Architecture before joining his father's Hamilton-based practice which he subsequently took over and ran until its closure in 1979. Paterson's work was mostly in Lanarkshire and was varied including shops, tenements, public housing and also another two cinemas in Clydebank and Shotts.

This 1,316 seater cinema was built for a syndicate of local businesses including Sir Alexander B King who was involved with many cinemas over Scotland. Built on the site of a former office building, the cinema has a narrow frontage and extends to the rear with the main auditorium space forming an L-plan to the rear.

The cinema was officially opened in August 1936 by Alec Douglas-Home who was later to be British Prime Minister from 1963-64.

Assessed as part of the Cinema Thematic Study 2007-08.

References

Bibliography

3rd Revision Ordnance Survey Map (1938). www.scottishcinemas.org.uk (viewed at 26 October 07).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 46A, 48 AND 48A BANNATYNE STREET, LANARK BINGO, FORMER REGAL CINEMA AND SHOPS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 10/12/2019 06:05